Dubai International Film Festival 2012: Red Carpet Treats
Alex Ritman | December 10, 2012
In case you haven't already heard, the 9th Dubai International Film Festival sprang into action last night with the usual red carpetted song and dance affair in the Madinat Arena.
As anticipated, much of the cheers and camera flashes were - quite rightly - reserved for the stars of Life of Pi, the opening film, along with some of the big names in attendance, especially Cate Blanchett and Freida Pinto.
But as some regular festival goers have come to expect, there were some other treats on display from red carpet walkers who dared to dress a little more elaborately.
Among those who caught the eye was a lady covered almost entirely in sparkling gold, right down to her sparkling gold shoes. Another had come in a red outfit that looked something you might find hanging off a Christmas tree (seasonal, I suppose). Several had thrown caution to the wind (which, thankfully, was behaving itself) by going for rather billowing dresses.
On the gents side of the fashion stakes, things were a little bit more restrained, perhaps with the exception of one, who wore a kilt.
- Newsmaker: Joko Widodo
- Road test: 2014 Volkswagen Golf GTI
- An uncommon language: New York show takes Middle Eastern art out of its usual box
- The big read: six of the best summer books
- Hidden talents: Sia Furler and her formulaic approach to creativity
- Land and peace: a new history of the ‘temporary’ occupation of Palestine