City of Life filmmaker on jury for Tropfest Arabia
Saeed Saeed | October 24, 2013
The Emirati filmmaker Ali F Mustafa, best known for his critically acclaimed drama City of Life (2009), will represent the UAE on the jury for the third edition of Tropfest Arabia on November 8 in Abu Dhabi.
Also on the panel are the Tunisian actress Dorra Zarrouk, the Syrian actor Basel Khaya, the Kuwaiti actor Khaled Amin and the Jordanian film producer Rula Nasser. The judges will select the winning film live.
“Short film creation is a great first step into a movie-making career so Tropfest Arabia is a great opportunity for young filmmakers," Mustafa said. "If the festival had been around when I was starting out, I would have been the first to get my submission in. I’m really looking forward to being a judge on what is expected to be a fantastic night for filmmakers and for culture-loving Arabs and their families. With so much talent in our region, selecting the winner won’t be easy.”
Mustafa's other credits include the online miniseries Classified. The filmmaker announced his new feature film, titled A to B, at the Cannes Film Festival earlier this year.
• Tropfest Arabia is on November 8 on the Corniche in Abu Dhabi. Entrance is free. Visit http://tropfest.com/arabia/ for more details
- 5 things to do today: head to the date palm festival or see an exhibition
- Is a tax on cinema tickets the answer to raising funds for UAE film industry?
- Kim Kardashian West ends her UAE tour with Fleur Fatale perfume launch
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens trailer to be released soon
- Dubai’s Analog Room celebrates two years of turning music into art
- Q&A with Toko Dubai executive chef Sebastian Francis