City of Life filmmaker on jury for Tropfest Arabia
Saeed Saeed | October 24, 2013
The Emirati filmmaker Ali F Mustafa, best known for his critically acclaimed drama City of Life (2009), will represent the UAE on the jury for the third edition of Tropfest Arabia on November 8 in Abu Dhabi.
Also on the panel are the Tunisian actress Dorra Zarrouk, the Syrian actor Basel Khaya, the Kuwaiti actor Khaled Amin and the Jordanian film producer Rula Nasser. The judges will select the winning film live.
“Short film creation is a great first step into a movie-making career so Tropfest Arabia is a great opportunity for young filmmakers," Mustafa said. "If the festival had been around when I was starting out, I would have been the first to get my submission in. I’m really looking forward to being a judge on what is expected to be a fantastic night for filmmakers and for culture-loving Arabs and their families. With so much talent in our region, selecting the winner won’t be easy.”
Mustafa's other credits include the online miniseries Classified. The filmmaker announced his new feature film, titled A to B, at the Cannes Film Festival earlier this year.
• Tropfest Arabia is on November 8 on the Corniche in Abu Dhabi. Entrance is free. Visit http://tropfest.com/arabia/ for more details
- The child stars at ADFF 2014
- Long and short of it: expert advice on the problems short films encounter
- Capital gains in Canberra, Australia
- Steven Naifeh’s return to art
- Mohamed Assaf in the running for a for Best World Wide Act at MTV European Music Awards (EMA)
- Review: Lucy Scholes’ The Book of Strange New Things