Charity Show for Beautiful People
Anna Seaman | May 14, 2013
A group of artists from a centre for special needs will exhibit their paintings tonight in the Al Badia Golf Club in Dubai's Festival City.
I'm Special... You're Special, is an exhibition from 18 artists from Mawaheb from Beautiful People, an art studio for adults with special needs based in Al Fahidi Historical Neighbourhood.
"My picture is a series of cartoons depicting our fun life together," says Abdullah Lutfi about his drawing of himself and his cousin Najeeb who he describes as "the most special person." For the exhibition, the students were asked to create paintings about the special people in their lives.
Leila Murgian, from Germany, painted her mother with angel wings. "Without my Mummy my life would be sad," she says. "My picture is an angel with pink coloured wings. I see an angel when I think of my Mum."
All proceeds from the exhibition will go towards the centre, which relies solely on donations and volunteers. It will also help to raise awareness about the talents of people with special needs.
* I'm Special... You're Special opens tomorrow, Wednesday 15th May at Art Couture at Al Badia Golf Club, Dubai Festival City. It runs from 10am until 10pm until May 31
- Humans of Dubai, a spin-off of Humans of New York, tells the stories of the people in the city
- ArtInternational’s Emirati director Dyala Nusseibeh on growing the Istanbul art scene
- Film review: Khoobsurat is a flawlessly good-looking remake with plenty of laughs
- Bolly’s crossing borders: how Indian cinema has found an audience in Colombia
- The new Aga Khan Museum in Toronto is an oasis of calm and reflection
- Singer Keyshia Cole arrested on suspicion of assault