Charity Show for Beautiful People
Anna Seaman | May 14, 2013
A group of artists from a centre for special needs will exhibit their paintings tonight in the Al Badia Golf Club in Dubai's Festival City.
I'm Special... You're Special, is an exhibition from 18 artists from Mawaheb from Beautiful People, an art studio for adults with special needs based in Al Fahidi Historical Neighbourhood.
"My picture is a series of cartoons depicting our fun life together," says Abdullah Lutfi about his drawing of himself and his cousin Najeeb who he describes as "the most special person." For the exhibition, the students were asked to create paintings about the special people in their lives.
Leila Murgian, from Germany, painted her mother with angel wings. "Without my Mummy my life would be sad," she says. "My picture is an angel with pink coloured wings. I see an angel when I think of my Mum."
All proceeds from the exhibition will go towards the centre, which relies solely on donations and volunteers. It will also help to raise awareness about the talents of people with special needs.
* I'm Special... You're Special opens tomorrow, Wednesday 15th May at Art Couture at Al Badia Golf Club, Dubai Festival City. It runs from 10am until 10pm until May 31
- The hot list: Seasonal delights
- Home improvements: Light up end of Ramadan with a homemade lantern
- On the market: three-bedroom apartment in Downtown Dubai
- Healing the scars inside: addressing the mental health problems of Syrian refugees
- The big read: six of the best summer books
- Land and peace: a new history of the ‘temporary’ occupation of Palestine