Art auction to help special needs children
Anna Seaman | May 6, 2013
A handful of young artists and their class mates will will benefit tonight from a silent auction held in Dubai's industrial zone art district in Al Quoz. Conversations in Alserkal Avenue will showcase work from pupils at the Manzil School of Special Needs in Sharjah and proceeds will go towards the school.
Founded last year, the initiative, which is a collaboration between Alserkal Avenue and Emirates NBD is aimed at raising awareness and funds for the children. Pieces like the colourful Happy Rain by Mohammad Chandra and Lady by Owais Azam will be up for grabs tonight at FN Designs gallery. Sheikha Wafa Hasher AlMaktoum, the owner the gallery said that she was happy to welcome the children's art and that it was part of their wider educational programme.
The exhibition will feature 22 artworks with prices starting at Dh5,500. As well as the silent auction, the gallery will feature a performance by the children, live music by The Fridge and as the name suggests, conversations within the community. All of the art community are invited to be a part of this initiative and contribute their support.
Abdelmonem Bin Eisa Alserkal said that the event "reflects the limitless possibilities we can do as a collective to help raise awareness and funds for visual arts programmes across schools of special needs, such as Manzil. It will only grow in the years to come."
The exhibition at FN Designs runs until May 23.
- Abu Dhabi Film Festival 2014: award-winning Cannes director wants to meet regional filmmakers; The worst football team in the world; Nujoom Al Ganem wants international audience; Magical Girl is not for the fainthearted
- Mansour and the Superheroes to take to the ice this winter
- Abu Dhabi Film Festival 2014: Festival volunteer turns star; how to get Johnny Knoxville into your short film; From A to B sells out
- ADFF buzz: Celebrities and Cuban rhythms at Emirates Palaces opening night party
- ADFF buzz: Stylish crowd celebrates opening night in Emirates Palace’s graceful garden
- Of Many is an inspiring movie that shows religious tolerance in practice
- Celebrating unity: a UAE-made documentary on religious understanding is making waves in the wider world
- Super Lochal: giving birth to a film superheroine in Abu Dhabi
- Bowls, plates and tulips: artists remember Iran’s stolen youth
- 5 things to do today: visit a exhibition and relax at ESPA
- Emirates Opera Project prepares to launch its new season