Appendicitis-hit Elton John 'grateful to be alive'
Afshan Ahmed | July 10, 2013
Elton John says he is grateful to be alive after learning he had been playing European tour dates while suffering from undiagnosed appendicitis. The 66-year-old musician is quoted in The Sun newspaper Wednesday as saying he had struggled through the shows in pain, thinking he had food poisoning.
He later learned: "I was a ticking time bomb. I guess I could have died at any time."
He added: "I feel so lucky and grateful to be alive."
On Tuesday John canceled a show in London's Hyde Park and other summer dates while he is treated for an inflamed appendix and surrounding abscess.
He is due to have surgery in the next few weeks after treatment with antibiotics.
John's new album, "The Diving Board," is due out in September.
- Associated Press
- Five things to do today: Enjoy Jones the Grocer’s Mum’s Month of Freedom with a set menu created especially for mothers and visit Galleries Night at Alserkal Avenue to mark the opening of the art season
- In pictures: The week that was in Arts&Life ending September 14
- Married Life: The show is over, but in our home Disney fever will go on and on
- Potted Potter: the show that magically condenses all seven Harry Potter novels into 70 madcap minutes
- Film festivals fire the starting gun on Oscars race
- Whiplash takes the top prize at the Deauville Film Festival