Appendicitis-hit Elton John 'grateful to be alive'
Afshan Ahmed | July 10, 2013
Elton John says he is grateful to be alive after learning he had been playing European tour dates while suffering from undiagnosed appendicitis. The 66-year-old musician is quoted in The Sun newspaper Wednesday as saying he had struggled through the shows in pain, thinking he had food poisoning.
He later learned: "I was a ticking time bomb. I guess I could have died at any time."
He added: "I feel so lucky and grateful to be alive."
On Tuesday John canceled a show in London's Hyde Park and other summer dates while he is treated for an inflamed appendix and surrounding abscess.
He is due to have surgery in the next few weeks after treatment with antibiotics.
John's new album, "The Diving Board," is due out in September.
- Associated Press
- Nujoom Al Ganem on the ADFF red carpet - video
- The Emirati filmmaker Sara Alagroobi on ADFF red carpet - video
- Proud moment in UAE cinema as Ali F Mostafa’s From A to B opens ADFF
- Film review: Happy New Year
- Director Hassan Kiyany on his movie, Marwan the Boxer - video
- Remastered version of Mary Poppins to show at ADFF 2014