Appendicitis-hit Elton John 'grateful to be alive'
Afshan Ahmed | July 10, 2013
Elton John says he is grateful to be alive after learning he had been playing European tour dates while suffering from undiagnosed appendicitis. The 66-year-old musician is quoted in The Sun newspaper Wednesday as saying he had struggled through the shows in pain, thinking he had food poisoning.
He later learned: "I was a ticking time bomb. I guess I could have died at any time."
He added: "I feel so lucky and grateful to be alive."
On Tuesday John canceled a show in London's Hyde Park and other summer dates while he is treated for an inflamed appendix and surrounding abscess.
He is due to have surgery in the next few weeks after treatment with antibiotics.
John's new album, "The Diving Board," is due out in September.
- Associated Press
- World premiere of Big Hero 6 in 3D to close Abu Dhabi Film Festival
- The child stars at ADFF 2014
- Long and short of it: expert advice on the problems short films encounter
- Capital gains in Canberra, Australia
- Steven Naifeh’s return to art
- Mohamed Assaf in the running for a for Best World Wide Act at MTV European Music Awards (EMA)