Abu Dhabi Film Festival 2013: Merzak Allouache to receive filmmaking award
Hugo Berger | October 29, 2013
The Algerian director Merzak Allouache will be presented with the Variety Middle East Filmmaker of the Year Award at a special ceremony at Emirates Palace today.
Allouache made his feature debut in 1976 with the acclaimed Omar Gatlato, a cynical depiction of young men in Algerian society.
This movie was screened on Saturday as part of the Abu Dhabi Film Festival's special programme of debut films by Arab filmmakers.
Allouche's latest work, The Rooftops, was the only Arab film in official selection at the Venice Film Festival this year.
It is one of the entries for this year's ADFF Narrative Competition and will be shown at 3.45pm on Wednesday, October 30 at Vox 5, Marina Mall.
For information about tickets visit www.abudhabifilmfestival.ae
- Fox’s new show Tyrant a series of unfortunate clichés
- Ramadan ‘N’ Art at Art Couture, Dubai ties in the Holy Month with UAE elements
- Indie filmmaker Ahmad Abdalla shows his range with big-budget homage to old E
- A History of the World In 100 Objects: Inca gold llama
- Album review: Tiësto – A Town Called Paradise
- Album review: Trey Songz – Trigga