12 Years a Slave likely to open in UAE theatres in January
Ann Marie McQueen | December 31, 2013
Jaap Buitendijk HOEP
Although you never can tell with movie releases in the UAE, there is a press screening for the much-loved and nominated film 12 Years A Slave in Dubai next week - and that bodes very well for an early to mid-January release in cinemas.
The film already screened locally to select crowds earlier this month, during the 10th Dubai International Film Festival. (And what a festival it was, offering Slave and American Hustle, two of the most-loved films of the year.)
Meanwhile, Associated Press reports that the Italian distributor for the film has apologised for promotional posters that were slammed as racist for featuring minor players Brad Pitt and Michael Fassbender and not Chiwetel Ejiofor, the film's star.
The new posters feature only Ejiofor, who has been nominated for a Golden Globe for his portrayal of a freed black man who is abducted and sold into slavery.
- Five things to do today: customise your own burger and enjoy a seaplane tour
- Emirati designer Hessa Al Falasi refreshes the traditional abaya
- Palestinian artist showing physics-inspired exhibition in Dubai
- Holly to Bolly: Kimora Lee Simmons to host interactive style session in Dubai in August
- New Dubai cafe brings together classic rock music and coffee
- A history of the world in 100 objects: Solar-powered lamp and charger