Eight years of Youtube
Triska Hamid | May 20, 2013
You would die before you could watch every video on Youtube. The website, which today celebrates its eighth birthday, has become the go-to destination for video uploads and streaming.
Every minute, more than 100 hours of video are uploaded onto Youtube, more than four days’ worth of content uploaded every minute of every day. The site attracts a billion people a day, eager to watch music videos, learn how to fold T-shirts or find something to smile about.
And the most popular comedy video of the past eight years? Charlie Bit My Finger. The short clip of two young brothers has captured the hearts of more than half a billion people around the world. Judson Laipply’s Evolution of Dance came in second followed by the sneezing panda baby.
Babies, dance and animals, the perfect combination for a Youtube video. Oh and Gangnam Style, which has managed to get more than 1.6 billion views to date, and leads all categories.
- White Friday event aims to be Middle East’s busiest online shopping day
- Dubai needs to diversify for stable growth
- Dubai stands taller than ever five years on from its debt crisis
- Dubai set to handle $200bn in projects
- Fitch maintains its A rating for RAK’s creditworthiness
- Mashreq well ahead on Emiratisation plan