Eight years of Youtube
Triska Hamid | May 20, 2013
You would die before you could watch every video on Youtube. The website, which today celebrates its eighth birthday, has become the go-to destination for video uploads and streaming.
Every minute, more than 100 hours of video are uploaded onto Youtube, more than four days’ worth of content uploaded every minute of every day. The site attracts a billion people a day, eager to watch music videos, learn how to fold T-shirts or find something to smile about.
And the most popular comedy video of the past eight years? Charlie Bit My Finger. The short clip of two young brothers has captured the hearts of more than half a billion people around the world. Judson Laipply’s Evolution of Dance came in second followed by the sneezing panda baby.
Babies, dance and animals, the perfect combination for a Youtube video. Oh and Gangnam Style, which has managed to get more than 1.6 billion views to date, and leads all categories.
- End of holy month means busy times for UAE retailers
- Busy end of year for UAE stock markets
- UAE interest rates in the balance as dissent emerges at the US Federal Reserve
- Listen, plan, then pick your own path, Just Falafel chief advises budding entrepreneurs
- Interior packs a punch at this apartment at Dubai’s World Trade Centre Residence
- In pictures: Dh13 million apartment at World Trade Centre Residence in Dubai comes with Versace furniture