Eight years of Youtube
Triska Hamid | May 20, 2013
You would die before you could watch every video on Youtube. The website, which today celebrates its eighth birthday, has become the go-to destination for video uploads and streaming.
Every minute, more than 100 hours of video are uploaded onto Youtube, more than four days’ worth of content uploaded every minute of every day. The site attracts a billion people a day, eager to watch music videos, learn how to fold T-shirts or find something to smile about.
And the most popular comedy video of the past eight years? Charlie Bit My Finger. The short clip of two young brothers has captured the hearts of more than half a billion people around the world. Judson Laipply’s Evolution of Dance came in second followed by the sneezing panda baby.
Babies, dance and animals, the perfect combination for a Youtube video. Oh and Gangnam Style, which has managed to get more than 1.6 billion views to date, and leads all categories.
- Brothers band together in UAE real estate
- For Emaar, it’s go big or go home; but for Nakheel, it’s small is beautiful
- Aldar sells Marina Square tower on Abu Dhabi’s Reem Island to Dubai joint venture
- Samsung merger will leave Arabtec joint venture intact
- Dubai builders turn to community malls anchored on food retailers Geant and Carrefour
- Why are so many companies ignoring Emiratisation?