Eight years of Youtube
Triska Hamid | May 20, 2013
You would die before you could watch every video on Youtube. The website, which today celebrates its eighth birthday, has become the go-to destination for video uploads and streaming.
Every minute, more than 100 hours of video are uploaded onto Youtube, more than four days’ worth of content uploaded every minute of every day. The site attracts a billion people a day, eager to watch music videos, learn how to fold T-shirts or find something to smile about.
And the most popular comedy video of the past eight years? Charlie Bit My Finger. The short clip of two young brothers has captured the hearts of more than half a billion people around the world. Judson Laipply’s Evolution of Dance came in second followed by the sneezing panda baby.
Babies, dance and animals, the perfect combination for a Youtube video. Oh and Gangnam Style, which has managed to get more than 1.6 billion views to date, and leads all categories.
- Citigroup tells investors to buy more stocks
- New cruise terminal at Abu Dhabi’s Port Zayed to celebrate UAE heritage
- Etihad Airways chief says airline alliance model is ‘fractured’
- Aldar focuses on retail, homes and hospitality
- Dolphin Energy to expand as UAE gas demand surges
- World Bank report says Tunisia ‘asphyxiated by its own corruption’