A front-row seat at the ‘selfie of the year’
Jessica Hill | February 10, 2014
The CNN presenter Richard Quest was mediating at the Government Summit in Dubai on Monday, and in a break from proceedings, found time to talk to The Nationa about life as a news presenter. When asked which prominent public figures he has not yet had the opportunity to engage with in an in-depth interview, he mentioned Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid, Vice President of the UAE and Ruler of Dubai.
In a twist of fate, a few minutes later, whilst Richard was still being questioned by us, Sheikh Mohammed himself entered the room. The Dubai leader instantly recognised the well-known anchor, and they chatted for a few minutes under the gaze of a swarm of photographers, fans and security guards. Richard asked His Highness if he’d heard about selfies, then showed him an example on his phone before taking a picture of them together. Sheikh Mohammed told Richard how he believed technology is developing quickly and how, a few years back, nobody would have imagined what we would have in our hands. They also talked about the progress of the summit since the inaugural year.
As Sheikh Mohammed left the room, Quest got onto his phone and tweeted “#selfie of the year with @HHSkhMohd in Dubai driving next stage with plans for World Expo 2020.”
Quest then continued his interview with The National (read all about it in this coming Sunda’s Business pages).
He admits that when he was covering the Royal Wedding between Kate and Wills for CNN, he took a wonderful picture of the happy pair up close which he then accidentally deleted from his phone before he had the chance to share it. This time, he had learnt his lesson and pressed all the right buttons.
Paris Haute Couture Week back with Versace, Armani and more
- Paris Haute Couture Week: Giambattista Valli’s stripes and flowers
- Dubai’s The Emperor 1688 win regional final of the Woolmark Prize
- Paris Haute Couture Week: Schiaparelli’s controlled eccentricity
- S*uce launches new concept store today at The Galleria
- Steer clear of the hard sell in the UAE
- Mutual financial trust adds up to a happy marriage
- Video: Alibaba’s next big moves
- Dubai HSBC customer queries rejection of service charge refund
- In pictures: iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus go on sale around the world
- Sharing of data puts UAE consumers under siege