Weekend football in numbers
The National staff | September 30, 2013
Daniel Ochoa de Olza STF
From struggling coaches to stuttering teams via landmark goals, Thomas Woods looks at some vital statistics from the sport in Europe over the past few days.
14 Gareth Bale’s long-awaited Real Madrid home debut ended in disappointment as Atletico Madrid beat their neighbours 1-0 to register their first league victory over Real in 14 years on Saturday night. Bale started on the bench and was not able to impact the game greatly when he came on at half time, as Atletico maintained their 100 per cent start to the campaign. They have 21 points from seven games and are second on goal difference behind Barcelona.
208 Alexander Kerzhakov, the Zenit St Petersburg striker, became Russian football’s leading scorer when his 208th career goal helped his side to a 4-2 win over Spartak Moscow. Kerzhakov fired home from the edge of the box and the ball slipped between the legs of goalkeeper Sergei Pesiakov. “It’s a dream to become the top scorer in history,” Kerzhakov said.
2 AZ Alkmaar fired coach Gertjan Verbeek on Sunday in a surprise move that came a day after they beat Dutch league leaders PSV Eindhoven to move to within two points of the top of the table, blaming “a lack of chemistry between the squad and the coach”. For the last three seasons, Verbeek, 51, has guided AZ into European competition and won the Dutch Cup last season.
Buying a new motor? Then cash in on one of these 10 Ramadan car deals
- A sneak peek at Roland Mouret for Banana Republic
- Paris Men’s Fashion Week: Hermes goes stylishly poetic
- Grand Night Ramadan Tent at the St Regis is an iftar hit
- England cricketer Gary Ballance escapes sanction over shirtless photo
- Transfer talk: Tevez would not have left Juventus had Mancini been appointed
- This could be Lianna Swan’s song in the pool
- Jorginho says he has not talked to Dunga or Brazil FA and will stay with Al Wasl
- Netherlands need time to mourn before talk of World Cup 2018 in Russia
- Sir Bradley Wiggins has point to prove in cycling competition
- Commonwealth Games round-up: Malaysians appeal for rifle shooter