US Open men's singles finals: a look back
Graham Caygill | September 9, 2013
Ahead of the menís US Open championship match late on Monday, Graham Caygill reviews the past five menís finals at Flushing Meadows, which has seen five champions in five years.
September 10, 2012 Andy Murrayís first grand slam title came his way as he won a thriller against Novak Djokovic. Murray had gone two sets up, but Djokovic fought back to level things, before the Briton broke twice in the final set to win 7-6, 7-5, 2-6, 3-6, 6-2.
September 12, 2011 Djokovic had lost his previous two final appearances at Flushing Meadows, but it was third time lucky for the Serbian against Rafael Nadal as he triumphed 6-2, 6-4, 6-7, 6-1 at Arthur Ashe Stadium.
September 13, 2010 The US Open was the one major missing from Nadalís collection and he completed his career Grand Slam, overcoming a second-set wobble to get the better of Djokovic 6-4, 5-7, 6-4, 6-2.
September 14, 2009 Juan Martin del Potroís lone major title to date came here, and the Argentine achieved it in memorable circumstances, coming from a set down twice to upset the world No 1 Roger Federer 3-6, 7-6, 4-6, 7-6, 6-2.
September 8, 2008 Federer won a, open era record five successive US Open titles, with 2008 being the last one. He dominated a one-sided encounter with a nervous Murray, in his first major final, to win 6-2, 7-5, 6-2.
- Wednesday cover: Balotelli and Gerrard breathe relief into Liverpool
- The 5 biggest Indian Super League signings
- Tuesday cover: Arabian Gulf League gets underway
- Monday cover: Angel di Maria and Manchester United rediscover swagger
- For Moyes at United, pre-match ban may have been the chip to break the camel’s back
- Sergi Samper latest Barca product to shine with Champions League debut: ‘Samper has a lot of quality’
- Chelsea’s Jose Mourinho left to bemoan Schalke draw as ‘we had our chances to win but ended with a point’
- Opportunities present but Chelsea fail to capitalise against Schalke
- Usual suspects Messi, Pique and Neymar shine for Barcelona
- Jerome Boateng hits winner to lift Bayern over Manchester City
- Dubai finish has a finality to it in Asian region of the golf circuit