UFC announces fight on Yas Island in Abu Dhabi
Chitrabhanu Kadalayil | February 6, 2014
TIM LARSEN FRE
Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC), the mixed martial arts company, is to return to the UAE on April 11 for their first show in the region in four years.
Dana White, the president of the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC), had announced last month that the organisation was going to return to Abu Dhabi, and on Wednesday announced that UFC Fight Night: Nelson vs Nogueira will take place at Yas Island as meets Antonio Rodrigo Nogueria.
The event, which has been organised in conjunction with Flash Entertainment, the second of six Europe, Middle East and Africa (EMEA) Fight Night events to take place this year. The two-year partnership with Flash will see at least five regional events staged in the next two years.
More to come
John Lickrish, chief executive at Flash Entertainment, said: “Flash Entertainment has been proud partners of the UFC for many years, stretching back to the historic UFC 112 event in Abu Dhabi in 2010. The announcement today heralds a bright future for the millions of fight fans and practitioners alike across the Middle East and North Africa, as we work together to develop a programme of year-round UFC events. We look forward to making further announcements very soon.”
Giving fans what they want
Garry Cook, executive vice president and managing director of UFC EMEA, said: “This agreement is a major step in our strategic expansion across EMEA and, in particular, will see our audience grow dramatically across the region. There is a huge market for the UFC in the Middle East; the fans want live events and can now look forward to local tailored content in the region.”
The first EMEA event of 2014 takes place in London, England on March 8. UFC Fight Night London 2014 will see Sweden’s light heavyweight title challenger Alexander Gustafsson take on England’s undefeated Jimi Manuwa in the main event at the city’s O2 Arena.
Paris Haute Couture Week back with Versace, Armani and more
- Paris Haute Couture Week: Giambattista Valli’s stripes and flowers
- Paris Haute Couture Week: Schiaparelli’s controlled eccentricity
- Paris Haute Couture Week: Fashion’s president Didier Grumbach steps down
- Dubai’s The Emperor 1688 win regional final of the Woolmark Prize
- Saudi Arabia have advantage over Qatar in Gulf Cup final
- Gulf Cup experience will help UAE in Asian Cup, says Mahdi Ali
- Phil Hughes bouncer a ‘freak occurrence’, says Brendon McCullum
- Ali Mabkhout’s timely goal boosts UAE past Oman in third place play-off
- Mourinho’s compatriots corner large share in Uefa Champions League’s final stretch
- Henrik Stenson determined to complete Desert Swing with win at Abu Dhabi Golf Championship