Five memorable Super Cup moments
Iain Hepburn | September 17, 2012
Ahead of tonight's etisalat Super Cup, the traditional curtain-raiser to the domestic UAE football season, we look back at five memorable moments from the competition's short but notable history.
Al 2009: Ahli 2-2 Al Ain (aet) Al Ain won 5-3 on penalties In the greatest individual performance in Super Cup history, the Brazilian Emerson scored both Al Ain goals, the second in the 85th minute, then supplied the deciding penalty to clinch victory over the league champions.
2010: Al Wahda 1-3 Emirates The demoted Ras Al Khaimah side were nursing a 2-1 lead against the league champions Al Wahda when Karim Kerkar, the Algerian international, centre, clinched the shock victory with his second goal from a free kick with two minutes remaining.
2011: Al Jazira 2-2 Al Wahda (aet) Al Wahda won 7-6 on penalties In shoot-out drama, with the score 6-6, Hugo, the Brazilian midfielder of Al Wahda crashed his effort against the crossbar. However, Saleh Obaid, the Al Jazira captain, missed a chance to win the season’s first piece of silverware for his team when his effort from 12 yards went wide.
2008: Al Shabab 0-1 ?Al Ahli In a match played in enervating heat, the result turned on penalties taken by two Brazilians. Clederson Cesar converted his, for Al Ahli; Carlos Renato, below, missed his, for Al Shabab, in the final seconds.
2011: Al Jazira 2-2 Al Wahda (aet) Al Wahda won 7-6 on penalties With the scores level at 6-6, Omar Ali converted for Wahda, and then Mutaz Abdulla, the veteran goalkeeper, settled it when he pushed away Ahmed Jumaa’s spot kick.
- Reports: Li Na ‘retiring because she is unable to continue competing’
- Rising Iraq star Ali Adnan, 20, nets double in 3-1 win over Japan at Asian Games
- Championship: Magath ‘completely confident in my job’ at Fulham despite latest collapse
- Totti leads Roma romp and Brahimi hat-trick fuels Porto in Champions League
- Zlatan Ibrahimovic and PSG denied by Ajax in ‘good spectacle’
- Catalans show Scotland support; Boateng lifts Bayern over City: Champions League in pictures