Five memorable Super Cup moments
Iain Hepburn | September 17, 2012
Ahead of tonight's etisalat Super Cup, the traditional curtain-raiser to the domestic UAE football season, we look back at five memorable moments from the competition's short but notable history.
Al 2009: Ahli 2-2 Al Ain (aet) Al Ain won 5-3 on penalties In the greatest individual performance in Super Cup history, the Brazilian Emerson scored both Al Ain goals, the second in the 85th minute, then supplied the deciding penalty to clinch victory over the league champions.
2010: Al Wahda 1-3 Emirates The demoted Ras Al Khaimah side were nursing a 2-1 lead against the league champions Al Wahda when Karim Kerkar, the Algerian international, centre, clinched the shock victory with his second goal from a free kick with two minutes remaining.
2011: Al Jazira 2-2 Al Wahda (aet) Al Wahda won 7-6 on penalties In shoot-out drama, with the score 6-6, Hugo, the Brazilian midfielder of Al Wahda crashed his effort against the crossbar. However, Saleh Obaid, the Al Jazira captain, missed a chance to win the season’s first piece of silverware for his team when his effort from 12 yards went wide.
2008: Al Shabab 0-1 ?Al Ahli In a match played in enervating heat, the result turned on penalties taken by two Brazilians. Clederson Cesar converted his, for Al Ahli; Carlos Renato, below, missed his, for Al Shabab, in the final seconds.
2011: Al Jazira 2-2 Al Wahda (aet) Al Wahda won 7-6 on penalties With the scores level at 6-6, Omar Ali converted for Wahda, and then Mutaz Abdulla, the veteran goalkeeper, settled it when he pushed away Ahmed Jumaa’s spot kick.
- Appearance by Luis Suarez would add bite to Barcelona-Real Madrid rivalry
- Liverpool give Lambert a chance; Chelsea play it safe in United draw: The National’s EPL predictions
- Pakistan’s Sarfraz Ahmed hits century but David Warner gives Australia a solid start
- Gabriel Calderon sure Al Wasl ‘has another level’
- Mabkhout and Lanzini lead ‘imperfect’ Jazira past Nasr
- Experienced Pakistan A squad levels cricket series with UAE