Five memorable Super Cup moments
Iain Hepburn | September 17, 2012
Ahead of tonight's etisalat Super Cup, the traditional curtain-raiser to the domestic UAE football season, we look back at five memorable moments from the competition's short but notable history.
Al 2009: Ahli 2-2 Al Ain (aet) Al Ain won 5-3 on penalties In the greatest individual performance in Super Cup history, the Brazilian Emerson scored both Al Ain goals, the second in the 85th minute, then supplied the deciding penalty to clinch victory over the league champions.
2010: Al Wahda 1-3 Emirates The demoted Ras Al Khaimah side were nursing a 2-1 lead against the league champions Al Wahda when Karim Kerkar, the Algerian international, centre, clinched the shock victory with his second goal from a free kick with two minutes remaining.
2011: Al Jazira 2-2 Al Wahda (aet) Al Wahda won 7-6 on penalties In shoot-out drama, with the score 6-6, Hugo, the Brazilian midfielder of Al Wahda crashed his effort against the crossbar. However, Saleh Obaid, the Al Jazira captain, missed a chance to win the season’s first piece of silverware for his team when his effort from 12 yards went wide.
2008: Al Shabab 0-1 ?Al Ahli In a match played in enervating heat, the result turned on penalties taken by two Brazilians. Clederson Cesar converted his, for Al Ahli; Carlos Renato, below, missed his, for Al Shabab, in the final seconds.
2011: Al Jazira 2-2 Al Wahda (aet) Al Wahda won 7-6 on penalties With the scores level at 6-6, Omar Ali converted for Wahda, and then Mutaz Abdulla, the veteran goalkeeper, settled it when he pushed away Ahmed Jumaa’s spot kick.
- Thursday cover: Al Wasl keeping options open to get Hugo Viana on board
- Wednesday cover: Mitchell Johnson needs to adapt to survive UAE conditions
- Tuesday cover: Al Ahli and Al Ain grudge match ends dead level
- Table tennis champ Zhang Jike boots away prize money
- Monday cover: Manchester United and Chelsea settle for draw
- Pogba emerging as a player to watch for Juventus
- Captain Gerrard says ball is in Liverpool’s court as he waits for new contract offer
- Vulnerable Dortmund go to Bayern Munich to end Bundesliga slump
- Van Gaal has big selection decisions to make for Manchester derby
- Brad Haddin wants Australia to be as hungry as Pakistan in Abu Dhabi Test
- ‘Tuk-tuk’ Misbah-ul-Haq shows his batting range in Abu Dhabi