The 5 favourites to win the Abu Dhabi HSBC Golf Championship
The National staff | January 15, 2014
What annually ranks as one of the strongest fields on the European Tour will tee off at the Abu Dhabi HSBC Golf Championship starting tomorrow, and Steve Elling looks at five favourites:
1. Henrik Stenson, Sweden: The hottest player on the planet at the end of 2013, Stenson played a staggering 31 times last year, capping it with a win in Dubai. At No 3, he is the top-ranked player in the field.
2. Jamie Donaldson, Wales: The defending champion had a career year and ended 2013 at a blistering pace, with five top-eight finishes in his last six starts. He has climbed to No 25 in the world rankings.
3. Thomas Bjorn, Denmark: A former winner in Dubai, Bjorn won his final 2013 start and was 10th last week in South Africa. The respected veteran is hoping for another shot at Ryder Cup glory with Europe later this year.
4. Rory McIlroy, Northern Ireland: A year to forget began here 52 weeks ago with a missed cut, but he won in Australia in November and has finally shown signs of perking up.
5. Sergio Garcia, Spain: Sure, this list is filled with seemingly obvious picks. But for good reason, too. Over Garcia’s last five starts in 2013, he finished ninth, 11th, fourth, second and first.
- Asamoah Gyan wants to be an Arabian Gulf League pioneer
- Pacquiao can win in the ring, just not on the basketball court
- Tops and flops at Gulf Cup: Lots of goals but Ismail Matar underwhelmed
- Wednesday’s cover: UAE take third place at 2014 Gulf Cup of Nations
- Tuesday’s cover: Manchester City face elimination in Champions League clash with Bayern Munich
- Sailing World Cup in Abu Dhabi - Video
- Australians sailors have a good start in ISAF World Finals in Abu Dhabi
- David Moyes wants Real Sociedad to play with ‘excitement’ when they face Elche in his home debut
- Qatar officials unaffected by negativity about 2022 World Cup
- IPTL plans to serve up a premier premiere
- Batting is an area of concern for UAE ahead of Afghanistan ODIs