The 5 favourites to win the Abu Dhabi HSBC Golf Championship
The National staff | January 15, 2014
What annually ranks as one of the strongest fields on the European Tour will tee off at the Abu Dhabi HSBC Golf Championship starting tomorrow, and Steve Elling looks at five favourites:
1. Henrik Stenson, Sweden: The hottest player on the planet at the end of 2013, Stenson played a staggering 31 times last year, capping it with a win in Dubai. At No 3, he is the top-ranked player in the field.
2. Jamie Donaldson, Wales: The defending champion had a career year and ended 2013 at a blistering pace, with five top-eight finishes in his last six starts. He has climbed to No 25 in the world rankings.
3. Thomas Bjorn, Denmark: A former winner in Dubai, Bjorn won his final 2013 start and was 10th last week in South Africa. The respected veteran is hoping for another shot at Ryder Cup glory with Europe later this year.
4. Rory McIlroy, Northern Ireland: A year to forget began here 52 weeks ago with a missed cut, but he won in Australia in November and has finally shown signs of perking up.
5. Sergio Garcia, Spain: Sure, this list is filled with seemingly obvious picks. But for good reason, too. Over Garcia’s last five starts in 2013, he finished ninth, 11th, fourth, second and first.
- Luis Suarez thought Barca would balk after bite: ‘Thought I had ruined my career’
- Myanmar threatened with empty stands after pitch invasion following win over UAE
- Monday cover: QPR put two too many into own net
- Sunday cover: Sergio Aguero lights up Spurs
- Friday cover: A confident Gabriel Calderon checks in at Al Wasl
- Relief for Serena Williams after opening win in WTA Finals
- Blind blast salvages point but flaws still evident in Van Gaal’s Manchester United
- ATP World Tour Finals race a bonus for late-season tournaments
- Cricket round-up: Peter Siddle targets Pakistan’s ‘older blokes’ in Dubai Test
- Rodgers admits losing Suarez to Barcelona has left Liverpool ‘stalled’
- World Series preview: To cheer or not to cheer? That is the question