Wrestling star in the spotlight for the wrong reasons
Iain Hepburn | January 23, 2013
Sports stars may well dream of being in the spotlight for their athletic achievements. But perhaps not quite like this.
Poor teenager Michael McComish was competing in an amateur wrestling event when the lighting fixture suspended above the venue crashed down on top of him during a match with rival Thomas Swanson.
The 80lb aluminium fixture dropped 30ft, yet remarkably left McComish, of South Dakota, with just cuts and bruises.
"I walked over to the center, set, and the next thing I know the lights are on top of me," McComish told television station KSFY.
"It was bright. I couldn't stand up. It was awkward. I fell back down and got some cuts on my knees."
Watch the video below:
- Transfer news: Swansea City sign Jefferson Montero
- Mahela Jayawardene climbs to unbeaten 140 on Day 1 for Sri Lanka
- ICC turns down invitation to bring cricket to Commonwealth Games
- Mo Farah makes ‘tough decision’ to leave Commonwealth Games with injury
- Troussier jumps in as CS Sfaxien and Esperance meet in Tunisian derby
- Valdivia dream may be dead, but feisty Fujairah showed they could think big