Wrestling star in the spotlight for the wrong reasons
Iain Hepburn | January 23, 2013
Sports stars may well dream of being in the spotlight for their athletic achievements. But perhaps not quite like this.
Poor teenager Michael McComish was competing in an amateur wrestling event when the lighting fixture suspended above the venue crashed down on top of him during a match with rival Thomas Swanson.
The 80lb aluminium fixture dropped 30ft, yet remarkably left McComish, of South Dakota, with just cuts and bruises.
"I walked over to the center, set, and the next thing I know the lights are on top of me," McComish told television station KSFY.
"It was bright. I couldn't stand up. It was awkward. I fell back down and got some cuts on my knees."
Watch the video below:
Photos: Jamaica’s next track star broke Usain Bolt’s schoolboy 400m world record
- Former United player Kleberson signs with American second division club
- Say hello to the highest-paid athlete in the world
- Hamilton makes a name for himself with another gaffe
- You won't be seeing Phil Mickelson on Twitter anytime soon
- Diego Ribas wonder strike hands slight advantage to Atletico Madrid
- Manchester United show defiance in surprise draw with Bayern Munich
- Indian Premier League must take a chance on these non-Test players
- Ford’s Rashid Al Ketbi to make amends at Rally of Portugal
- West Indies ‘did not expect’ to win easy
- No rest has left Al Ahli weary after scoreless ACL draw