Wrestling star in the spotlight for the wrong reasons
Iain Hepburn | January 23, 2013
Sports stars may well dream of being in the spotlight for their athletic achievements. But perhaps not quite like this.
Poor teenager Michael McComish was competing in an amateur wrestling event when the lighting fixture suspended above the venue crashed down on top of him during a match with rival Thomas Swanson.
The 80lb aluminium fixture dropped 30ft, yet remarkably left McComish, of South Dakota, with just cuts and bruises.
"I walked over to the center, set, and the next thing I know the lights are on top of me," McComish told television station KSFY.
"It was bright. I couldn't stand up. It was awkward. I fell back down and got some cuts on my knees."
Watch the video below:
- Elegance and calibre get chance to meet for UAE’s Amjad Ali
- UAE’s Kamran Shazad promises to fire up the speed gun at World Twenty20
- In pictures: Nico Hulkenberg and Sergio Perez learn Australian Rules Football
- With New South Wales Waratahs off to hot start, Cheika aims to keep side grounded
- Nigeria footballers can get up to $100,000 bonus if they can win World Cup
- 2.5 per cent stake of Manchester United sold to US firm Baron Capital