Premier League: Ups and Downs
Iain Hepburn | September 11, 2012
Our weekly guide to the trio enjoying a well-deserved profile rise, and the threesome on a quicker slide than Yas water park...
GOING UPEdin Dzeko, Manchester City He might be the fourth-choice striker at his club side, but Dzeko is very much the main man for his country. His hat-trick helped Bosnia and Herzegovina thrash Liechtenstein 8-1 away from home.
Abou Diaby, Arsenal If it was not for a career hindered by injuries, the French midfielder could be talked about alongside some of the world’s best. He has it all – technique, vision, stamina and a goalscoring threat, he scored the winner for France against Finland.
Tom Cleverley, Manchester United Another player whose 2011/12 season was curtailed by injury, but Cleverley was handed England’s No 10 shirt by Roy Hodgson. He put in an impressive display in a 5-0 win in Moldova.
GOING DOWNStephane Mbia, QPR The midfielder was part of the Cameroon squad that lost 2-0 away to the Cape Verde Islands in the final round of qualifying for the 2013 African Nations Cup in South Africa, if they lose the next leg they miss out on the competition.
Clint Dempsey, Tottenham Hotspur The United States midfielder netted the first goal but saw his side go down 2-1 in Jamaica. With three games from six already played, the US are third in their group with only the top two going through to final World Cup qualifying.
James Collins, West Ham United If it was not hard enough playing a Belgium team with a host of Premier League players but Collins let Wales down with a reckless early challenge leading to him being sent off. Belgium won 2-0.
- Monday cover: Liverpool emphatically take down Tottenham
- Sunday cover: Diego Costa and attack-minded Chelsea
- Morata, El Shaarway, Mvila, Cole, Rossi: Five players to watch out for this Serie A season
- Philosopher Ernest Gulbis’ rules for life at the US Open
- Defender turns heroic goalkeeper in Uefa Champions League qualifier
- Diego Costa a reminder of players Jose Mourinho has seen success with at Chelsea before
- Premier League talking points: Warnock and Puncheon mend fences
- Transfer news: Javier Hernandez off to Real Madrid and Chelsea midfielder Van Ginkel to AC Milan
- Richard Jolly’s Premier League Team of the Week 3
- Radamel Falcao signs for Manchester United from Monaco
- ‘La Masia’ bearing fruit for Barca with El Haddadi and Sandro