Premier League: Ups and Downs
The National staff | February 19, 2013
This week's trio holding their heads high, and unfortunate threesome keeping their heads down...
GOING UPCallum McManaman, Wigan Athletic “He gets really hyped-up, so we told him he wasn’t playing so he wouldn’t be upset overnight and just concentrate on having a good sleep,” Roberto Martinez, said of his striker, who scored at Huddersfield.
Sergio Aguero, Manchester City Nothing like a big win to boost confidence. City beat Leeds United 4-0 in the FA Cup and Roberto Mancini singled out Aguero, scorer of two goals, as the man to kick-start their season as they aim to close a 12-point gap on Manchester United.
Jose Enrique, Liverpool The Spanish left-back has had an up and down season, and has received public criticism from his manager Brendan Rodgers about his performances. But he hit back on Sunday with a fine display, a goal and an assist, in the 5-0 thrashing of Swansea City.
GOING DOWNMichael Laudrup, Swansea City The Danish manager made a mistake when he sent out a depleted team at Liverpool. He wanted to rest players for next week’s Capital One Cup final. What he got was a 5-0 defeat and a huge confidence dent.
Francis Coquelin, Arsenal It summed up Arsenal’s performance in losing to Blackburn in the FA Cup – desperate. The French full-back cut into the box down the right, planted his toes into the ground as he was tackled, and won a 5.9 from judges for the dive of the week.
Shane Duffy, Everton With four minutes of injury time remaining, and with his side 2-1 up, 6ft 4ins Duffy was sent on by David Moyes to mark Oldham’s 6ft 6ins striker Matt Smith in their FA Cup tie. But Duffy allowed Smith to equalise with the last header of the game.
- Federer relishes win in front of ‘my idol’ Michael Jordan
- Wednesday cover: Gyan and Al Ain reach Asian Champions League semi-finals
- Is Josh Shaw’s story an act of heroism or a tall tale?
- Tuesday cover: Stevan Jovetic and City drop season’s first exclamation point
- AFC fails its own professionalism test with stadium switch
- Grappler Herbert Burns will bring his jiu-jitsu style to MMA event in Dubai
- Al Ain manager Zlatko Dalic exudes ‘complete confidence’ in team’s Asian Champions League performance
- AB de Villiers and Faf du Plessis chase down Australia’s 327
- Abu Dhabi gears up for round in the Middle East Rally Championship calendar
- Pacquiao to teach Chinese the basics with boxing academies chain
- Extra Time Podcast: Al Ain reach Asian Champions League semi-finals - Ep 42