Premier League: Ups and Downs
The National staff | February 19, 2013
This week's trio holding their heads high, and unfortunate threesome keeping their heads down...
GOING UPCallum McManaman, Wigan Athletic “He gets really hyped-up, so we told him he wasn’t playing so he wouldn’t be upset overnight and just concentrate on having a good sleep,” Roberto Martinez, said of his striker, who scored at Huddersfield.
Sergio Aguero, Manchester City Nothing like a big win to boost confidence. City beat Leeds United 4-0 in the FA Cup and Roberto Mancini singled out Aguero, scorer of two goals, as the man to kick-start their season as they aim to close a 12-point gap on Manchester United.
Jose Enrique, Liverpool The Spanish left-back has had an up and down season, and has received public criticism from his manager Brendan Rodgers about his performances. But he hit back on Sunday with a fine display, a goal and an assist, in the 5-0 thrashing of Swansea City.
GOING DOWNMichael Laudrup, Swansea City The Danish manager made a mistake when he sent out a depleted team at Liverpool. He wanted to rest players for next week’s Capital One Cup final. What he got was a 5-0 defeat and a huge confidence dent.
Francis Coquelin, Arsenal It summed up Arsenal’s performance in losing to Blackburn in the FA Cup – desperate. The French full-back cut into the box down the right, planted his toes into the ground as he was tackled, and won a 5.9 from judges for the dive of the week.
Shane Duffy, Everton With four minutes of injury time remaining, and with his side 2-1 up, 6ft 4ins Duffy was sent on by David Moyes to mark Oldham’s 6ft 6ins striker Matt Smith in their FA Cup tie. But Duffy allowed Smith to equalise with the last header of the game.
- Wednesday cover: ‘Lost my head’: Asamoah Gyan and Al Ain out of Asian Champions League
- Former Arsenal man Andre Santos latest to join Indian Super League
- Tuesday cover: Al Ain’s impossible dream
- Audio: UAE beach soccer coach ahead of Beach Soccer Intercontinental Cup
- Monday cover: Europe win the Ryder Cup
- Full speed ahead for Azzam and the rest of the Volvo Ocean Race fleet
- UAE’s golden girls Alia Saeed and Bethlem Desaleyn take aim at 5,000m stardom
- India boxer Sarita Devi refuses bronze medal in protest of ‘injustice’
- Worries growing at Al Ahli; Al Dhafra chasing Humam Tariq: AGL talking points
- ‘Not really hostile’ Russia should be no problem for Everton, says Aiden McGeady
- Video: Al Hilal beat Al Ain to reach Champions League final