Lucky break for Cristiano Ronaldo fan?
The National staff | July 25, 2013
An 11-year-old fan felt the raw power of a famous Cristiano Ronaldo free-kick at a pre-season friendly when the Real Madrid star accidentally broke the youngster's wrist.
Charlie Silverwood was sitting behind the goal in the weekend friendly between Bournemouth and the Spanish giants at the English club's Goldsands Stadium when he parried the ball which came towards him at high speed.
"It was Ronaldo's first free-kick of the game. It went straight for me so I blocked the ball with the palm of my left hand and the force, I suppose, reverberated up my arm and broke my wrist," Charlie told the BBC.
"Real Madrid is a once in a lifetime opportunity – seeing them play your local club – so I watched the rest of the match, mostly in pain considering I still had the sling, and afterwards I then went to hospital.
"If I hadn't blocked it with the palm of my hand I would have no front teeth."
Real Madrid have told the youngster that a team shirt, signed by Ronaldo, will be sent to him as a gift.
– Agence France-Presse
- Atletico manager Simeone wary of a rested AC Milan side
- Guardiola points out quality in Arsenal
- AFC president: UAE has strong chance of winning the bid
- Imad Khalili makes an impression for Saudis
- New Azzam yacht gets rave reviews from crew as it sails for first time
- For UAE cricket team, home is where you can hang your cap