Want Lionel Messi's golden foot? It'll cost you Dh20m...
Iain Hepburn | March 6, 2013
So just how much is one of Lionel Messi's feet worth? How about Dh19.3m?
A solid gold replica of the Barcelona superstar's left foot, complete with skin patterns and blood vessels, has been created to commemorate his fourth consecutive Ballon d'Or win.
The 25kg statue, which goes on sale in Japan tomorrow, will raise money to help the victims of the earthquake and tsunami which caused devastation to the country two years ago, with a pricetag of $5.25m.
A solid gold plate of the Argentina forward's footprint, and miniature versions of the foot statue, will also be sold to raise money for the earthquake victims through the Leo Messi Foundation.
The plates, 50 of which have been made, will each be sold for Dh347,000, and the 100 miniature feet for Dh154,266 each.
The real thing, however, is probably worth quite a bit more...
- Five players to watch out for this Serie A season
- Philosopher Ernest Gulbis’ rules for life at the US Open
- Defender turns heroic goalkeeper in Uefa Champions League qualifier
- Federer relishes win in front of ‘my idol’ Michael Jordan
- Wednesday cover: Gyan and Al Ain reach Asian Champions League semi-finals
- Louis Van Gaal’s revolution at Manchester United will take time
- Filipina Julaton goes down fighting before Dubai crowd
- Naismith flies below the radar amid Everton’s high-profile purchases
- Llagostera paying heavy price for Barcelona employee’s racist act
- Chelsea loan struggling Torres to AC Milan
- Wise Dan to throw weight around in Grade 2 company on Saratoga return