Want Lionel Messi's golden foot? It'll cost you Dh20m...
Iain Hepburn | March 6, 2013
So just how much is one of Lionel Messi's feet worth? How about Dh19.3m?
A solid gold replica of the Barcelona superstar's left foot, complete with skin patterns and blood vessels, has been created to commemorate his fourth consecutive Ballon d'Or win.
The 25kg statue, which goes on sale in Japan tomorrow, will raise money to help the victims of the earthquake and tsunami which caused devastation to the country two years ago, with a pricetag of $5.25m.
A solid gold plate of the Argentina forward's footprint, and miniature versions of the foot statue, will also be sold to raise money for the earthquake victims through the Leo Messi Foundation.
The plates, 50 of which have been made, will each be sold for Dh347,000, and the 100 miniature feet for Dh154,266 each.
The real thing, however, is probably worth quite a bit more...
- Thursday cover: Al Wasl keeping options open to get Hugo Viana on board
- Wednesday cover: Mitchell Johnson needs to adapt to survive UAE conditions
- Tuesday cover: Al Ahli and Al Ain grudge match ends dead level
- Table tennis champ Zhang Jike boots away prize money
- Monday cover: Manchester United and Chelsea settle for draw
- Round 8 review: Al Jazira and Wasl are happy but Olaroiu is not
- Derrick Rose returns as Chicago Bulls dust off New York Knicks in NBA opener
- Behind another Madison Bumgarner masterpiece effort, Giants win World Series
- AS Roma win, go back level with Juve after Genoa deal champs defeat
- Ligue 1 leaders Marseille dumped out of Coupe de la Ligue
- Pep Guardiola’s Bayern Munich breeze by Hamburg to reach DFB-Pokal last 16