Another chapter in history of India-Pakistan cricket rivalry
Kumar Shyam | March 2, 2014
One of cricket’s biggest rivalries takes centre stage again today as India and Pakistan face off in Bangladesh at the Asia Cup, with the winner likely to reach the final. Here is a look at their past five one-day meetings.
June 15, 2013 – India won by eight wickets, D/L method When the fixtures for the 2013 Champions Trophy in England were drawn, this match was marked on everyone’s cards. Edgbaston turned into the subcontinent for a day. Misbah-ul-Haq’s side, below, were all out for 165 after 39 overs and India chased down a revised total with ease.
January 6, 2013 – India won by 10 runs A strangely low-scoring match in Dehli saw India bowled out for 167. Pakistan needed 24 runs for victory, but the tourists lost their last four wickets for just 13 runs as India – inspired by Ishant Sharma, below, – clinched a dramatic win, although they lost the ODI series.
January 3, 2013 – Pakistan won by 85 runs Pakistan looked set for a big total in Kolkata after Nasir Jamshed (106) and Mohammed Hafeez (76) put on 141 for the opening wicket. However, India’s spinners restricted Pakistan to a reachable 250 and the game looked well set. Cue a dominant Pakistan bowling display, with Saeed Ajmal, right, ending with an economy rate of two from his 10 overs.
March 18, 2012 – India won by six wickets A match where records fell and India missed out on a place in the Asia Cup final, despite victory, after Bangladesh beat Sri Lanka in the final group match. Virat Kohli, above, set the game alight. His 148-ball 183 is a record Asia Cup score and set such a pace that India won with 13 balls to spare.
December 30, 2012 – Pakistan won by six wickets An epic MS Dhoni innings came to nothing as Pakistan won with 11 balls left. Junaid Khan had India reeling at 29 for five. Dhoni hit 113 not out to lead India to 227. But Jamshed, below, scored the first of two centuries in the ODI series to anchor a successful Pakistan chase.
- Monday cover: Frank Lampard clips old friends Chelsea to deliver point to Man City
- Sunday cover: Cristiano Ronaldo and Real Madrid go wild for eight
- In PBA foray, Manny Pacquiao ‘won’t get an open shot’ vows basketball rival
- Palestinian ‘battle’ to get to the Asian Games
- No royal treatment for Thai princess at Asian Games
- Cristiano Ronaldo and Real Madrid have Dubai winter friendly, training camp lined up
- The sights of the 2014 Asian Games in pictures
- Leicester, Palace and West Brom lead revenge of the minnows: EPL action in pictures
- Super Bowl rematch goes Seattle’s way as Marshawn Lynch runs for winning TD in overtime
- Edinson Cavani’s goal not enough as PSG left staring up after more dropped points
- Destro and Florenzi push AS Roma past Juventus to top of Serie A with Cagliari win