Five things to know for the Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe
The National staff | October 6, 2013
Scheduled to take place at 6:15 tonight in Paris, the Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe could be the site of a big breakthrough for Sheikh Joaan bin Hamad of Qatar and his horse, Treve, writes Geoffrey Riddle today.
Along with that story, here are Riddle's five things to know ahead of the race as well as his analysis of the field.
1. Olivier Peslier, above, could become the most successful jockey in the history of the Prix de l’Arc de Triomphe at Longchamp today on Intello. Peslier is among only two jockeys to have secured a hat-trick in the race having partnered Helissio in 1996, Peintre Celebre the following year and Sagamix. The Frenchman won last year’s race on Solemia.
2. Intello is one of five runners for Andre Fabre, below, in the €4.8 million (Dh23.9m) event. Fabre also runs Flintshire, the mare Pirika, Ocovango and Godolphin France’s Penglai Pavilion. Fabre is already the most successful trainer in the Arc with seven winners and last won the race in 2006 with Rail Link.
3. Fabre is not the only trainer with more than one runner in the race. English Classic-winning colts Ruler Of The World, above, and Leading Light will take their chance for Aidan O’Brien who won the 12-furlong contest in 2007 with Dylan Thomas. Leading Light would become the first English St Leger winner to win the Arc in the same season.
4. Novellist, above, was among the favourites for the Arc but was ruled out yesterday due to a temperature. The King George VI and Queen Elizabeth Stakes winner is the second high-profile German horse to miss the race in as many years after Danedream’s bid to regain her crown was dashed 12 months ago due to equine swamp fever in the Cologne area.
5. Outsiders Meandre and Very Nice Name both competed at Meydan in March. Meandre was sixth to Animal Kingdom in the World Cup, while Very Nice Name was third in the Dubai Sheema Classic. Both have Italian jockeys with Meandre due to be ridden by Umberto Rispoli and Very Nice Name by Pierantonio Convertino, above.
Adam Levine is tying the knot with his girlfriend
- UAE World Cup 1990 players get reunited with coach Parreira
- Nicole Saba and Salman Khan are brand ambassadors for Splash
- Alwiya A Thani’s Emirati romcom wins international award
- Tamil actor Suriya plans to join Twitter and Facebook to connect with fans
- Kei Nishikori says hopes to fill Li Na void in Asia
- Near-record attendance expected for Davis Cup final featuring Roger Federer
- Louis van Gaal will always select Wayne Rooney in starting line-up
- Louis van Gaal keen on Cristiano Ronaldo return, but Real Madrid unlikely to sell
- Manuel Pellegrini takes aim at ‘perfect’ Chelsea
- Arsene Wenger warns critics to lay off Mesut Ozil