Fifa U17 World Cup: Hosts with the most
Paul Oberjuerge | August 27, 2013
Now that the groups are set for the Fifa Under 17 World Cup, being staged in the UAE starting October 17, Paul Oberjuerge looks at how the past five host teams performed.
South Korea: group stage A blip in Korea’s steady climb toward prominence produced an U17 side eliminated after two matches, a 1-0 loss to Peru and a 2-0 defeat to Costa Rica before defeating Togo. Nigeria were champions.
Peru: group stage Not one of South America’s football powers, they drew with Ghana, then lost 1-0 to China and 2-0 to Costa Rica, finishing bottom of their group. Mexico, with Giovani dos Santos and Carlos Vela, defeated Brazil 3-0 in the final.
Finland: group stage The Finns defeated China 2-1, but lost to Mexico and were routed by Colombia. Brazil, coached by the current Al Shabab manager Marcos Paqueta, defeated the Spain of Cesc Fabregas 1-0 in the final.
- In pictures: Preparations for Dubai World Cup
- Barcelona hope to continue recent revival with win in Catalan derby
- Al Shabab miss chance to pull closer to Al Ahli at top of Arabian Gulf League table
- India enter World Twenty20 semis but no celebrations
- Just A Way could pave the road forward for Japan in Dubai Duty Free
- When Pellegrini barks it usually carries some bite