Fascinating battle for Premier League promotion
The National staff | May 27, 2013
Crystal Palace meet Watford on Monday in the Championship play-off final, with promotion to the English Premier League the prize. Here is a look at five memorable play-off games.
3 – May 25, 1998 Charlton Athletic 4 Sunderland 4 A thriller saw Sunderland lead three times, but they were hauled back by Charlton, who had Clive Mendonca, right, score three times. The game went to penalties, where Charlton prevailed 8-7 as Michael Gray saw his weak effort saved by Sasa Ilic.
4 – May 22, 2010 Blackpool 3 Cardiff City 2 All the goals came in the first half as Cardiff twice led only to be matched by Blackpool, who then scored what proved to be the winner in first-half stoppage time through Brett Ormerod, left. Ian Holloway, who manages Palace today, saw his side survive Cardiff pressure in the second half to win.
5 – May 30, 2011 Reading 2 Swansea City 4 Swansea appeared to be cruising thanks to two goals from Scott Sinclair, right, and another from Stephen Dobbie as they led 3-0 at the break. But Reading pulled two back and it took a Sinclair penalty to calm Swansea’s nerves and secure their promotion.
- Nasri prepared for Arsenal fans to take aim at him
- Chennai and Rajasthan given permission to compete in the IPL in the UAE
- Grafite hits late winner as class prevails for Al Ahli
- Changes afoot for Indian cricket
- England hero Hales hits Sri Lanka for six at World Twenty20
- Abu Dhabi Ocean Racing team complete line-up