Dav Whatmore on Pakistan's first Sri Lanka ODI, Hafeez and more
Jonathan Raymond | December 19, 2013
Francois Nel Staff
The first ODI against Sri Lanka was a success for Pakistan, albeit a narrow one.
Mohammad Hafeez was the star of the show, of course, knocking a hefty 122 in leading Pakistan to the victory.
Of the centurion, Whatmore said:
"Hafeez was really keen yesterday to get back in the runs column. He's been a very good contributor in some ways. He had a lean patch against South Africa and was very keen – you might have seen his celebration after the hundred, fair enough - and he was really keen to get back in the runs which he did very, very well
"To me Hafeez is an automatic selection, because hes a multi-dimensional player, the sort of player we need in Pakistan."
For the full two-part interview between Dubai Sports City's Brian Murgatroyd and Whatmore, and to get a feel for where the coach sees his side heading into Friday's second ODI, take a listen below:
- Lampard strikes to revive Manchester City against former employers Chelsea
- Talk of Ronaldo and Real Madrid training in Dubai this winter
- Ivan Trichkovski turns up for Al Nasr to confound Sharjah with his tricks
- Manchester United in disarray as Leicester City gave fans a day to remember
- Letting victory slip a blip in Chelsea’s title pursuit
- Champions Al Ahli lose focus as Luvannor lends sharpness to Al Shabab