Warriors line up Grim fight for second Abu Dhabi show
Iain Hepburn | January 6, 2013
The organizers of fledgling UAE fight league Abu Dhabi Warriors Fighting Championships are looking to keep things Grim for their second show.
The fight card, set for later this year, will see former Strikeforce and Elite XC contender Brett Rogers take on current Warriors top dog Maro Perak in the heavyweight division.
Perak edged a split decision win over Travis Wiuff during the first show in November last year.
Now the promoters have lined up a bout against the American heavyweight - known as 'Da Grim' - for the next show.
Rogers comes into the fight on the back of his loss in the Belator tournament quarter-finals last October, but boasts a 12-5 record, including a win over Andrei Arlovski during his time in Strikeforce.
His defeats were against no mugs, either - losing to Fedor Emelianenko and a title fight defeat to Alistair Overeem among the few blights on an impressive record over the last eight years.
Rogers, who has been scouting Perak via YouTube ahead of the bout, says he's been training heavy and is looking to use his for a KO win over his Croatian opponent.
But Perak, who moved to 22-3-1 with his win over Wiuff, remains confident.
“His only chance in this fight is to try to knock me out, and he won't be able to knock me out," Perak told the Warriors website.
Elsewhere, the fight league has confirmed Kurt Kinser, who was originally scheduled to fight at Warriors 1 before Hurricane Sandy derailed his plans, will make his Abu Dhabi debut at the second event.
- Chelsea’s Eden Hazard says he ‘recognises’ World Cup critics were ‘justified’
- Henderson and Sterling snatch draw for Liverpool v Man City in New York
- Nigeria finalising new deal for Stephen Keshi
- Radovic double has Legia Warsaw putting Celtic in a Champions League chokehold
- Transfer talk: Glazers selling part of Man United stake; Chelsea loan Bertrand to Southampton
- Championship boxer Ana Julaton climbs into the MMA cage