Warriors line up Grim fight for second Abu Dhabi show
Iain Hepburn | January 6, 2013
The organizers of fledgling UAE fight league Abu Dhabi Warriors Fighting Championships are looking to keep things Grim for their second show.
The fight card, set for later this year, will see former Strikeforce and Elite XC contender Brett Rogers take on current Warriors top dog Maro Perak in the heavyweight division.
Perak edged a split decision win over Travis Wiuff during the first show in November last year.
Now the promoters have lined up a bout against the American heavyweight - known as 'Da Grim' - for the next show.
Rogers comes into the fight on the back of his loss in the Belator tournament quarter-finals last October, but boasts a 12-5 record, including a win over Andrei Arlovski during his time in Strikeforce.
His defeats were against no mugs, either - losing to Fedor Emelianenko and a title fight defeat to Alistair Overeem among the few blights on an impressive record over the last eight years.
Rogers, who has been scouting Perak via YouTube ahead of the bout, says he's been training heavy and is looking to use his for a KO win over his Croatian opponent.
But Perak, who moved to 22-3-1 with his win over Wiuff, remains confident.
“His only chance in this fight is to try to knock me out, and he won't be able to knock me out," Perak told the Warriors website.
Elsewhere, the fight league has confirmed Kurt Kinser, who was originally scheduled to fight at Warriors 1 before Hurricane Sandy derailed his plans, will make his Abu Dhabi debut at the second event.
- Western Sydney Wanderers unfazed by Saudi giants Hilal ahead of Asian Champions League final’s first-leg match
- The Kickabout podcast: Are Al Shabab kings of Dubai? – Episode 3
- Walker’s calculated risk helps Azzam pull away in Volvo Ocean Race
- Real’s Kroos and Rodriguez enter the El Clasico cauldron
- One to watch: the staying power of Marseille’s Gignac
- Appearance by Luis Suarez would add bite to Barcelona-Real Madrid rivalry