No love from UFC crowd for old romantic Benson Henderson
Iain Hepburn | April 21, 2013
Never let it be said that MMA fans aren't sensitive souls.
Benson Henderson, having just beaten Strikeforce counterpart Gilbert Melendez to retain his UFC lightweight title and, effectively, unify the championships, took the opportunity of his win and being on live television around the world to propose to his girlfriend Maria Magana.
Now, you might think this heartwarming finale to a five round victory would be enough to touch even the stoniest audience member.
You'd be wrong.
Oh dear. Here's hoping there's not a repeat performance at the wedding…
Elsewhere on the card, Daniel Cormier beat Frank Mir by unanimous decision, while Josh Thomson beat Nate Diaz after his corner threw in the towel. Matt Brown won by stoppage over Jordan Mein, while Chad Mendes finished Darren Elkins quickly.
- ‘World at their feet’: Germany rise puncutated by Brazil battering
- India enjoy a rare solid start to tour of England
- Trainer Varian upbeat about chances of success during July Festival
- Transfer talk: Mario Mandzukic on way to Atletico Madrid
- Fifa suspend Nigeria Football Federation on ‘government interference’
- Germany’s Miroslav Klose plays down World Cup scoring record