Bayern Munich’s five most recent appearances in the European Cup final
Paul Oberjuerge | May 2, 2013
The Germans secured a place in the Uefa Champions League final last night, their 10th berth in the game to decide Europe’s top club side. Paul Oberjuerge looks at the Bavarians five most recent finals.
2012 In a bitter defeat in their own stadium, Bayern conceded an equaliser from Chelsea’s Didier Drogba in the 88th minute and, after 30 minutes of extra time did not break the 1-1 deadlock, it went to a shoot-out. Bastian Schweinsteiger’s attempt was tipped away by Petr Cech, and Drogba’s spot-kick won it for the English side.
2010 Bayern fell victim to Jose Mourinho’s tactical brilliance. His Inter Milan side had defeated Barcelona 3-2 on aggregate in the semi-finals by “parking the bus” in front of goal, and in the final Inter’s counter-attacks against the German side led to goals by the Argentine Diego Milito in the 35th and 70th minutes, and a 2-0 victory.
2001 The German team won their fourth European Cup in a shoot-out over Valencia. Gaizka Mendieta’s third-minute penalty was cancelled out by Stefan Effenberg’s 50th-minute spot-kick, and the game went to a shoot-out. Bayern won 5-4 when Oliver Kahn saved Mauricio Pellegrino’s effort.
1999 Bayern led Manchester United 1-0 after 90 minutes, thanks to a sixth-minute goal by Mario Basler. However, Teddy Sheringham scored in the 91st minute, and the game seemed headed for extra time. But a corner two minutes later by David Beckham was headed on by Sheringham and Ole Gunnar Solskjaer scored the winner.
1987 The midfielder Ludwig Kogl gave the Bayern of Lothar Matthaus the lead in the 25th minute, and the German side nursed the advantage until the final 15 minutes. The Algerian striker Rabah Madjer equalised for Porto in the 77th minute, and the Brazilian Juary won it for the Portuguese side in the 81st minute.
- Wednesday cover: Man City stumped by CSKA Moscow
- Adel Taarabt: ‘I was fuming when I didn’t play’
- Tuesday cover: Close call for Louis van Gaal’s Manchester United
- Luis Suarez thought Barca would balk after bite: ‘Thought I had ruined my career’
- Myanmar threatened with empty stands after pitch invasion following win over UAE
- Pakistan and Australia lock horns for first Test in Dubai – in pictures
- Serena, Sharapova, Simona and WTA’s brightest stars in Singapore for Finals – in pictures
- Real ruin Anfield mood; Arsenal find late life – Champions League in pictures
- Ronaldo and Real Madrid leave Liverpool in the dust at Anfield
- Dormant for 122 days, Barca’s Luis Suarez set to answer El Clasico call
- Real Madrid’s Cristiano Ronaldo nears record: ‘It was special, my first goal at Anfield’