Abu Dhabi can be spectacular like Cowes, says Azzam's Khalid
The National staff | August 20, 2013
The Emirati sailor and member of Abu Dhabi Ocean Racing, is hoping the 2014/15 Volvo Ocean Race stopover in the UAE’s capital can turn into the ‘Cowes Week of the Middle East’
Quite a gathering Cowes Week, which began in 1826 and attracts up to 1,000 boats, is as much a social event as a sailing one and Khalid was impressed. “The whole of the Isle of Wight and southern England comes to life during Cowes with sailing enthusiasts from all over the world arriving for the regatta,” he said.
Bring it home Abu Dhabi’s stopover, left, will begin mid-December 2014. “The sight of thousands of boats gathered on the River Solent for Cowes Week is spectacular. Abu Dhabi – where we sometimes have upwards of 100 dhows out racing – can do the same for the stopover. We can make it the most important sailing and waterfront celebration in Arabia,” Khalid said.
Getting there Abu Dhabi will welcome the fleet from Brazil after a 9,707 nautical-mile leg.
- Monday cover: Liverpool emphatically take down Tottenham
- Sunday cover: Diego Costa and attack-minded Chelsea
- Morata, El Shaarway, Mvila, Cole, Rossi: Five players to watch out for this Serie A season
- Philosopher Ernest Gulbis’ rules for life at the US Open
- Defender turns heroic goalkeeper in Uefa Champions League qualifier
- Diego Costa a reminder of players Jose Mourinho has seen success with at Chelsea before
- Premier League talking points: Warnock and Puncheon mend fences
- Transfer news: Javier Hernandez off to Real Madrid and Chelsea midfielder Van Ginkel to AC Milan
- Richard Jolly’s Premier League Team of the Week 3
- Radamel Falcao signs for Manchester United from Monaco
- ‘La Masia’ bearing fruit for Barca with El Haddadi and Sandro