Abu Dhabi can be spectacular like Cowes, says Azzam's Khalid
The National staff | August 20, 2013
The Emirati sailor and member of Abu Dhabi Ocean Racing, is hoping the 2014/15 Volvo Ocean Race stopover in the UAE’s capital can turn into the ‘Cowes Week of the Middle East’
Quite a gathering Cowes Week, which began in 1826 and attracts up to 1,000 boats, is as much a social event as a sailing one and Khalid was impressed. “The whole of the Isle of Wight and southern England comes to life during Cowes with sailing enthusiasts from all over the world arriving for the regatta,” he said.
Bring it home Abu Dhabi’s stopover, left, will begin mid-December 2014. “The sight of thousands of boats gathered on the River Solent for Cowes Week is spectacular. Abu Dhabi – where we sometimes have upwards of 100 dhows out racing – can do the same for the stopover. We can make it the most important sailing and waterfront celebration in Arabia,” Khalid said.
Getting there Abu Dhabi will welcome the fleet from Brazil after a 9,707 nautical-mile leg.
- Pep Guardiola’s Bayern Munich move even farther from Bundesliga challengers
- Paul Pogba and Carlos Tevez power 10-man Juventus in ‘best performance of the season’
- Manny Pacquiao dominates Chris Algieri to retain title – in pictures
- Manny Pacquiao dominates Algieri, looks to Floyd Mayweather: ‘I want that fight’
- Man City’s Yaya Toure ‘is improving every game’ says Pellegrini
- Barcelona’s Lionel Messi overtakes Telmo Zarra for La Liga record – in pictures