Alfredo Di Stefano proving age is no bar for marriage
The National staff | May 6, 2013
The Real Madrid great Alfredo Di Stefano, who will be 87 in July, has proved he still has plenty of life by announcing plans to marry a Costa Rican woman 50 years his junior.
Considered one of football’s greatest players, the Argentina-born Di Stefano said he will marry 36-year-old Gina Gonzalez in the next few weeks “because I want to, and I have been a widower for eight years.
“Each madman to their own,” he was quoted as saying in the El Mundo newspaper. “I am in love and I am marrying Gina. I am 86, but I have a young heart.”
Di Stefano, now the honorary Real Madrid president, has had health problems in recent years and is often seen in public in a wheelchair.
He met Gonzalez when she helped in the preparation of his book and that his “sense of humour” had won her over.
Asked what his children made of the marriage plans, he added: “What do you think they would say? They might be against it. But that is not important to me. I am interested in my life and nothing else. And not making a lot of trouble.”
Known as “La Saeta Rubia” (the Blond Arrow), Di Stefano’s achievements as a player helped turn Real, whom he joined in 1953, into one of the world’s leading sides.
They won five successive European Cups with him, beginning in 1956.
- Pellegrini, Man City keep getting taken by surprise by small fries
- Richard Jolly’s Worst XI of the English football weekend
- Atlanta Hawks’ dive shows how tanking is done
- Houston Rockets flying high by going down low
- ‘To all intents and purposes’ Roma title chase over, admits Rudi Garcia
- Richard Jolly’s Best XI for the English football weekend