Who is the UAE's sportsperson of 2012? Vote now
Iain Hepburn | December 18, 2012
As a remarkable sporting year draws to a close, we want you to decide just who was the greatest sportsman or woman of 2012 in the UAE.
Our sports team have gone back through a year of success from the Emirates to put together a shortlist of athletes who have all made headlines for their performances this year.
And we're throwing open the final decision to you.
Below are the five nominees for our sportsperson of 2012, along with a brief biography of them and their achievements this year. Then just follow the link and vote for who you think deserves to be the winner.
Omar Abdulrahman - footballer Widely regarded as one of the best young players in the Etisalat Pro League, he returned from injury in January to help Al Ain win the title. Was a part of the UAE U23 side which impressed at the London Olympics, providing much of the creative play in their campaign.
Mahdi Ali - football coach The former Al Ahli player was appointed head coach of the UAE national team after guiding the U23 side to the London Olympics with a dramatic 3-2 win in March over Tashkent. In London the side were unlucky to lose against Uruguay and Team GB before drawing with Senegal
Abdullah Sultan Al Aryani - shooting The Paralympian claimed gold for the UAE at the 2012 Paralympics in London, winning the mixed 50m rifle prone SH1 category to become only the second Paralympics gold medal winner in the country's history.
Khaled Al Balooshi - motorsport The Qatar A-Anabi team racer became the first driver from the Middle East to win in the elite-class Top Fuel drag racing circuit in the USA. Just 22 races into his career, he beat top driver Antron Brown to claim success in Pennsylvania.
Velimir Stjepanovic - swimming The Abu Dhabi-born teenager represented Serbia at the London Olympics, where he broke the Serbian national record and reached the finals of the Men's 200m butterfly final, finishing 6th behind Chad Le CLos and Michael Phelps.
- Audio: UAE beach soccer coach ahead of Beach Soccer Intercontinental Cup
- Monday cover: Europe win the Ryder Cup
- Sunday cover: Alia Saeed snags gold medal for UAE at Asian Games
- Saturday cover: UAE footballers celebrate quarter-final advancement at Asian Games
- Lowdown on Derek Jeter’s farewell in the Big Apple
- Rafael Nadal determined to make most of remainder of his season
- Australian youngsters feeling strain of increased expectations
- Zlatko Dalic calls on Al Ain fans to give their club a lift against Al Hilal
- Champions Al Ahli annoyed after another draw at home
- Busy year of racing in store at Yas Marina Circuit
- Dubai December treat: Cristiano Ronaldo and Real Madrid v AC Milan