Hollywood hotspot Koi gears up for Abu Dhabi opening
Mo Gannon | August 21, 2013
Foodies have more to explore on Saadiyat Island, with a handful of restaurants now open or preparing to open at the Collection, the retail space connected to the St Regis resort.
Avasa, The Indian Kitchen, soft-launched over the holidays. The narrow boite, stylishly decorated with multi-coloured bangles dangling from the ceiling, is the sister restaurant of Chhappan Bhog as well as Kebabs and Kurries, all owned by the Royal Orchid Group.
We’ve had a few quiet weekday meals at Avasa watched over by its super-keen staff. Ranging from Dh70 to Dh115, the curries don't come cheap, but they’re full of carefully crafted flavours.
Across the way, we’ve been spying on the staff at Koi through their latticed windows at night, above, as they seem to be rehearsing for takeoff (the sign says "opening soon"; when we knocked on the door, someone said September 1 is the likely date). The LA hotspot, frequented by celebrities and featured on the show Entourage, has branches in New York, Las Vegas and Bangkok (www.koirestaurant.com). Watch out, Hakkasan...
- Waxwork-themed Taste of Fame eatery in Dubai’s Sunset Mall: get kitschy with George Clooney
- 1,001 Arabian bites: bread, the ultimate comfort food, is life itself
- New Dubai cafe brings together classic rock music and coffee
- Döner & Gyros sandwich shop to open in Dubai
- Ishi Khosla’s top tips for weight loss
- Emirati chefs give Eid a local flavour with these tasty recipes