Pomegranates and Roses recognised by Gourmand World Cookbook Awards
Emily Shardlow | December 12, 2012
Congratulations to Dubai based chef and author Ariana Bundy, whose cookbook Pomegranates and Roses, My Persian Family Recipes recently won the Best Asian Cookbook Award in the UK section of the Gourmand World Cookbook Awards 2012.
Pomegranates and Roses will now qualify for the Gourmand Best in the World Competition, the results of which will be announced on the 23rd February 2013 at the annual awards ceremony in Paris.
I have a copy at home and am convinced that this is a book to savour and pore over, as well as cook from. It’s filled with whimsical illustrations, elegantly styled photographs, tales of Bundy’s family history and life in Iran and also provides a wealth of information about traditional Persian food.
The recipes meanwhile are generous, thoughtful and although relatively simple, require the cook to add spices with a delicate hand and be aware of unani, which is the balancing of ‘hot’ and ‘cold’ ingredients. The results meanwhile are great - I have had particular success with shirin polo (sweet rice with orange peel, carrots, almonds and saffron).
Pomegranates and Roses is widely available in bookshops across the UAE and would make a really lovely present for a keen cook.
- No ticket, no problem: Other ways to enjoy Abu Dhabi during F1 weekend
- My UAE: Hot property with the Emirati coffee entrepreneur Mansoor Al Bastaki
- Feeding the F1 thousands: what’s in store for hungry fans enjoying the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix on a yacht
- New Youtube channel posts recipes for dog food
- Exclusive private dining club Nth Degree ushers in rare fare to Dubai
- A look at the dining scene around Abu Dhabi during F1 weekend