A film-filled Valentine's Day
Emily Shardlow | January 31, 2013
Of all the Valentine’s Day press releases that I have received so far – and there have been a fair few – the one from Quest restaurant at Jumeirah at Etihad Towers is my firm favourite.
Apparently the chef de cuisine Benjamin Whatt – a man in touch with his sensitive side, it seems – has picked six of his favourite romantic films and built the Valentine’s Day menu around them.
So, on February 14 dinner will begin with a foie gras, honey and rice terrine fashioned into the shape of a book, in homage to the 2004 movie The Notebook. The ante is then upped with a vibrantly coloured red mullet and turmeric coconut nage number, inspired by Baz Luhrmann's Moulin Rouge. From there, diners are then introduced to the romance of British wintertime via Love Actually and a Christmas venison dish, before being asked to sip on a shot of (violet and mint) poison à la Romeo and Juliet.
After that it’s time for some Breakfast at Tiffany’s cereal (complete with delicious-sounding croissant ice cream), ending with truffles and hot chocolate, in a nod to, you’ve guessed it, Chocolat.
I really enjoyed my last meal at Quest and would happily return. For a Valentine’s Day meal minus the schmaltz and with a hint of fun, this seems like a sound choice.
The menu will be served from 7pm-11pm on Thursday, February 14. Prices start at Dh550 per person. Call 02 811 5666 or email JADrestaurants@jumeirah.com.
- No ticket, no problem: Other ways to enjoy Abu Dhabi during F1 weekend
- My UAE: Hot property with the Emirati coffee entrepreneur Mansoor Al Bastaki
- Feeding the F1 thousands: what’s in store for hungry fans enjoying the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix on a yacht
- New Youtube channel posts recipes for dog food
- Exclusive private dining club Nth Degree ushers in rare fare to Dubai
- A look at the dining scene around Abu Dhabi during F1 weekend