London Fashion Week day 1: fragile flavours from Willow and Bora Aksu
Gemma Champ | September 15, 2012
Tim Whitby Stringer
The National's fashion correspondent Gemma Champ will be blogging every day from London Fashion Week.
Only a couple of weeks ago, London style was all about Stella McCartney’s sports kits, but now that the fashion juggernaut has rolled into town, trainers and trackies will be no more. Not beyond Oxford Street, anyway.
London Fashion Week kicked off gently though – a relief to those buyers and editors who’d arrived that morning on the red-eye from New York – but two shows on day one stood out: Willow, an Australian brand making its London debut, and Bora Aksu, the Turkish designer with a penchant for delicate romance.
Both were utterly unlike New York’s bold, graphic collections, with Willow showing exquisitely simple shapes in filmy chiffons overlaying body-conscious foundations, the pale colours relieved by a fiery, painterly orange print.
Aksu also used orange, overlaid with purple, and chiffon, as well as many shades of blue, from cornflower to royal, and ivory, in a delicately regal collection inspired by the tale of a daughter of Queen Victoria who became a Queen of Romania. The result was a recurring Art Nouveau motif printed or burned out on layered A-line and shift dresses, with woven fabric crowns and leather clutches to match. The theme was perhaps a touch overextended, but there were nevertheless some beautiful long and short cocktail frocks in gossamer-light fabrics.
More from LFW 2012
Read Gemma's coverage from New York Fashion Week including an exclusive interview with celebrity designer Victoria Beckham.
• Victoria Beckham shows her Californian side • NYFW Day 6: Ralph Lauren and Calvin Klein show us how it’s done • NYFW Day 5 – Jenny Packham, Naeem Khan and Dennis Basso • NYFW Day 4 – Reem Acra • NYFW Day 3 – Donna Karan’s DKNY collection • New York Fashion Week Day 2 – VLOV, Esber and Alejandro Ingelmo • New York Fashion Week 2012 Day 1
- Stella McCartney opens second store in Dubai
- Raya Abirached named brand ambassador for IWC Schaffhausen
- Mohammed Al Turki sports Jaeger-LeCoultre at the Abu Dhabi Film Festival
- Items from architect Zaha Hadid, Paris Mayor Anne Hidalgo and Princess Charlene of Monaco in female power dressing exhibition
- Museum in New York tells the story of cosmetics giant Helena Rubinstein in art