Fashion Forward Day 3: Backstage with Essa
Rebecca McLaughlin-Duane | October 17, 2013
Essa’s catwalk show kicks off in under an hour at FFWD in Dubai's Madinat Jumeirah. We grab 5 minutes with the designer before the curtain rises.
How he’s feeling: “Amazing! A little excited buzzed up, a little tired, a little sweaty!”
What he’s sending down the runway: “Vintage, soft, floaty, rare pieces mixed in with modern, futuristic fabrics. I’m trying to do something a little different and more ‘stand-out’.”
What’s he’s loving this season: "Plenty of lace, I’m really feeling old lace for Spring/Summer. Lace is a big thing for women as they carry it through from childhood; christenings, underwear, nighties, weddings etc."
Who his muses were: “Two girls I’m working with, my director and my fashion assistant, called Najeh and Samya.”
- Abu Dhabi students compete to design best pyjamas for beauty sleep
- Fashion notes: Dress sheer without risking overexposure
- In pictures: The 9 finalist for sleepware Dressed to Rest contest
- Fashion notes: With age comes some wisdom about make-up
- Trend: Life on Mars with space-inspired metallic shades
- My Luxury Life: Madame Laudomia Pucci