Dressing Florence And The Machine
Katie Trotter | May 16, 2013
Sandy Young Stringer
Ever wondered who is behind the costumes of some of the world's biggest stars? We catch up with Aldene Johnson, Florence's stylist and contributing fashion editor of Vice magazine to find out...
1) How did you begin working with Florence Welch? The very first thing I did with Florence was when I styled her for her debut album cover 'Lungs' ... the rest as they say is history.
2) How do you choose the designers you work with? It all really depends what I'm working on, in that it's event specific. I look at which designers work best for either stage, red carpet or day looks. I obviously have my favourites, but it's more about if the piece or look works and if I fall in love with it rather than only looking at certain designers.
3) Why did you choose Marina Qureshi for her Dubai performance? I was first drawn to Marina Qureshi when I came across the incredible black dress from her Fall 2012 collection that Florence wore for her Reading and Leeds performances last year.
4) How did you decide on the particular dress for the Dubai show? The bespoke dress made for Florence was a combination of two looks I really loved from the current collection.
5) You have created an otherworldly character in Florence with an ethereal style - how and why did you decide to go that way? Florence is an an incredible person to dress and together it wasn't so much a decision we made, but more a natural organic progression.