The Rocker tries to follow the tune played by School of Rock, The Wedding Singer and This Is Spinal Tap and show that there is nothing more entertaining than failed musicians, but in the end proves to be just be a series of dud notes. A star of the US version of The Office, Rainn Wilson plays Robert "Fish" Fishman, a drummer in the band Vesuvius who is sacked just before they make it big. Unable to live down the fifth-Beatle tag he disappears into a loveless marriage and dull job. Twenty years later he loses them both but gets a second stab at rock stardom when his nephew's band ADD needs an emergency drummer. The band becomes successful after Fish finds fame as "the naked drummer" on YouTube and then the film enters Almost Famous territory. Fish's main groupie is a fellow band member's mum (Christina Applegate) sent on tour to make sure the younger musicians are not led astray. It should be a fun ride but the dialogue and plot are too predictable and Wilson has no fun with the old-fogey role. The characters all play Guitar Hero and I suggest you do too. It's much more fun than watching this B-side of a movie.
- Swarovski’s sparkling new movie production ventures
- Saif Ali Khan pleads not guilty to assault
- Funding an Oscar winner: The Great Beauty’s Oscar triumph has lessons for Gulf filmmakers
- Fast & Furious 7 filming to resume in capital in April
- In pictures: Celebrities walk red carpet at Tyler Perry film premiere
- The gravity of the Oscars: Mark Sanger on winning for co-editing Gravity
- Most Viewed
- Most Commented
- Most Viewed
- Most Commented
- Federal Traffic Council approves proposal to lower UAE driving age
- Men ripped off woman’s clothes in bathroom, Abu Dhabi court hears
- Ties no longer mandatory for Dubai cabbies amid safety concerns
- Live blog: With the emergency workers at Rashid Hospital Trauma Centre
- Dubai launches mobile app to faciliate parking and payment
Album review: Pharrell Williams – GIRLS
Even when rushed, Pharrell cannot help but ooze an effortless, idiosyncratic cool.
Drawing in the crowds: the renowned illustrator and author Sarah McIntyre on picture books
The illustrator and writer of children’s books Sarah McIntyre says picture books are invaluable.
Former Gulabi Gang leader’s issues are with the Gulaab Gang film producers, not actors
The former Gulabi Gang leader Sampat Lal says despite her issues with the Gulaab Gang producers, she feels Madhuri Dixit's performance reflects her own life.
Artistic talent from Palestine
This Is Palestine is a week-long celebration of Palestinian art and culture happening in Dubai’s Meydan complex.
Five reasons why Eric Clapton is the real guitar hero
Ben East has five reasons why Eric Clapton, who plays the Media City Amphitheatre in Dubai tonight, is the ultimate musician.
Emirati director Nayla Al Khaja back to push movie limits
Chris Newbould talks to the Emirati film director Nayla Al Khaja, whose next feature is set to court controversy.