Every year the performance of Peter Sellers in The Party seems to get better and better. Comparing Mike Myers' incredulous attempt at playing a romantic maharajah with Sellers' unwanted guest is like being given cowpat instead of a holy cow. A fully bearded Myers is the number 2 guru in the world. Deepak Chopra, playing himself, is top dog. Myers is told that he'll get a spot on Oprah and consequently become the world's most famous lover-man if he can reunite a star ice hockey player (Romany Malco) with his wife (Meagan Goode), who's now dating another superstar player (Justin Timberlake). Complicating matters is that the love guru falls for the derided owner of the Toronto Maple Leafs (Jessica Alba). There are many similarities with Working Title's 2002 dud The Guru, especially the numerous attempts at pastiche of the song and dance routines found in Bollywood and the stereotypical (read boring) jokes of an Indian lost in America. But Myers doing a rendition of The Steve Miller Band's The Joker is a cheap gag. Watching this feels like you're being repeatedly dumped by the love of your life.
- Funding an Oscar winner: The Great Beauty’s Oscar triumph has lessons for Gulf filmmakers
- Fast & Furious 7 filming to resume in capital in April
- In pictures: Celebrities walk red carpet at Tyler Perry film premiere
- The gravity of the Oscars: Mark Sanger on winning for co-editing Gravity
- An unforgiving level of violence: Only God Forgives is a disturbing and divisive film
- Clusters of Light to open in Sharjah
- Most Viewed
- Most Commented
- Most Viewed
- Most Commented
- Federal Traffic Council approves proposal to lower UAE driving age
- Men ripped off woman’s clothes in bathroom, Abu Dhabi court hears
- Ties no longer mandatory for Dubai cabbies amid safety concerns
- OSN blames rival for TV sport blackout in the UAE as fans will have to buy new set-top boxes
- Live blog: With the emergency workers at Rashid Hospital Trauma Centre
Diving into TV’s newest favourite cop comedy – Brooklyn Nine-Nine
Ahead of the debut of the Golden Globe-winning series Brooklyn Nine-Nine in the UAE, we look at the stars and characters that keep the show ticking
Drawing in the crowds: the renowned illustrator and author Sarah McIntyre on picture books
The illustrator and writer of children’s books Sarah McIntyre says picture books are invaluable.
Former Gulabi Gang leader’s issues are with the Gulaab Gang film producers, not actors
The former Gulabi Gang leader Sampat Lal says despite her issues with the Gulaab Gang producers, she feels Madhuri Dixit's performance reflects her own life.
Artistic talent from Palestine
This Is Palestine is a week-long celebration of Palestinian art and culture happening in Dubai’s Meydan complex.
Five reasons why Eric Clapton is the real guitar hero
Ben East has five reasons why Eric Clapton, who plays the Media City Amphitheatre in Dubai tonight, is the ultimate musician.
Emirati director Nayla Al Khaja back to push movie limits
Chris Newbould talks to the Emirati film director Nayla Al Khaja, whose next feature is set to court controversy.