Text size:

  • Small
  • Normal
  • Large
The Bollywood director Kunaal Roy Kapoor. Wikimedia Commons
The Bollywood director Kunaal Roy Kapoor. Wikimedia Commons
The Bollywood actor Sanjay Dutt. Reuters
The Bollywood actor Sanjay Dutt. Reuters

Sanjay Dutt announces his surrender

Plus: Kunaal Roy Kapoor to direct social satire.

His conviction has sparked a nationwide debate in India but last week, the Bollywood star Sanjay Dutt announced he would not be seeking a pardon and was ready to go to jail for possessing arms supplied by plotters of the deadly 1993 Mumbai blasts. Dutt, who has starred in films such as Saajan, one of Bollywood’s most popular romance movies, and Vaastav, a crime drama for which he won many awards, gave an emotional speech at a press conference in Mumbai on Thursday where he said: “With folded hands, I want to tell the media and the citizens of the country that I have not applied for pardon.” He added “I will surrender”, before hugging his sister Priya Dutt, a congress MP, who consoled and hugged him. Dutt was first arrested in 1993 for involvement in the series of 13 bombings that killed 257 people in March of that year. He was found in possession of a 9mm pistol and an assault rifle and spent 18 months in jail before being released on bail. He was arrested again in 2007 and imprisoned for a short time but was released on bail while his case was appealed to the supreme court, which reduced his sentence from six years to five last Thursday. He will now return to jail to complete his sentence. “I love my country and I love the citizens of my country and I love India,” said Dutt, as he sobbed on his older sister’s shoulder. – AFP

Kunaal Roy Kapoor to direct social satire

The actor and director Kunaal Roy Kapoor says his second directorial feature Nautanki Saala will be a social satire. It follows his debut The President Is Coming, his 2009 satirical mockumentary. “I am scripting my second film as a director and it’s a sort of social satire, a dark comedy kind of a film,” said the 33-year-old. “The film should roll by the end of the year. I am looking forward to the film.” While the leads are yet to be confirmed, one actress who won’t be involved is his sister-in-law Vidya Balan, confirmed Kapoor. “I want to work with Vidya Balan, but right now for this film, she won’t be there,” he said. – IANS

twitter Follow us @LifeNationalUAE

Back to the top

More articles


Editor's Picks

 Hajer Almosleh, the winner of the last year's short story competition, at her home in Dubai. Duncan Chard for the National

Get involved with The National’s short-story competition

Writers have two weeks to craft a winning submission, under the title and theme "The Turning Point".

 It is believed that the desert-like planet of Tatooine is being recreated for Star Wars: Episode VII. Could that be where filming in the UAE comes in? Courtesy Lucasfilms

Could the force be with us? The search for Star Wars truth

On the hunt for the Star Wars: Episode VII set, which a growing number of people are sure is in Abu Dhabi, but no one can seem to find.

 With an estimated 18,000 comic and film fans having already paid a visit to this weekend’s Middle East Film and Comic Con, organisers are hopeful they will have surpassed last year total, of 21,000, by its close. Jeffrey E Biteng / The National

In pictures: Middle East Film and Comic Con in Dubai

Dubai's World Trade Center was awash with people visiting this weekend’s Middle East Film and Comic Con. Here's some of our best pictures.

 Sheikh Nahyan bin Mubarak, the Minister of Culture, Youth and Community Development, presents Quincy Jones with the Abu Dhabi Festival Award as the Admaf founder Hoda Al Khamis-Kanoo applauds. Courtesy Abu Dhabi Festival.

A candid talk with Quincy Jones about the UAE, Lil Wayne and the Abu Dhabi Festival award

The Abu Dhabi Festival honoree Quincy Jones discusses his legendary career as a music producer, the return of Dubai Music Week and why he can’t handle the rapper Lil Wayne.

 Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge, Prince William, Duke of Cambridge and Prince George of Cambridge arrive at Wellington Military Terminal on an RNZAF 757 from Sydney on April 7, 2014 in Wellington, New Zealand. Chris Jackson / Getty Images

In pictures: Will and Kate visit Australia and New Zealand

Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge, Prince William, Duke of Cambridge and Prince George of Cambridge are on a tour Down Under for three weeks.

 A protester gives a victory sign during clashes near Tahrir Square in Cairo in November 2011. Goran Tomasevic / Reuters

Street life: humanity’s future depends on ability to negotiate and sustain public space

Negotiating our ever more crowded cities and maintaining vibrant public spaces are among the major challenges facing humanity in the coming decades.

Events

To add your event to The National listings, click here

Get the most from The National