Text size:

  • Small
  • Normal
  • Large
The Bollywood actor Sanjay Dutt will have to serve three-and-a-half years of his prison sentence following his failed appeal against a weapons conviction. Sajjad Hussain / AFP
The Bollywood actor Sanjay Dutt will have to serve three-and-a-half years of his prison sentence following his failed appeal against a weapons conviction. Sajjad Hussain / AFP

Court upholds Sanjay Dutt's conviction

Plus: Salman faces trial for killing deer; Malhotra unveils Indian cinema fashion collection.

Court upholds Dutt’s conviction

India’s Supreme Court upheld the weapons conviction of the Bollywood leading man Sanjay Dutt on Thursday and ordered him to report to prison within four weeks in a case linked to the deadliest terror attack in Indian history.

Dutt’s failed appeal against his conviction was part of a broader ruling by the Supreme Court on cases stemming from the 1993 bombings that killed 257 people in Mumbai. A total of 100 people were convicted of involvement in the blasts.

Dutt, 53, originally had been sentenced to serve six years in prison on charges of possessing an automatic rifle and a pistol that were supplied to him by men subsequently convicted in the bombings. He served 18 months in jail before being released on bail in November 2007 pending an appeal to the top court.

The Supreme Court shaved one year off his
sentence and ordered him jailed within a month to finish out the remaining three-and-a-half years of his sentence.

In a statement released to the Indian media, Dutt said he was “heart-broken” and “shattered and in emotional distress”. “If they want me to suffer more I have to be strong,” he said.

The court’s ruling on Dutt comes as a blow for Mumbai’s film industry, putting several films he was working on in limbo. The actor recently completed two movies which were being readied for release. – AP

Malhotra unveils cinema fashion collection

To mark the 100th anniversary of Indian cinema, the renowned fashion designer Manish Malhotra has launched a new line of clothing. At last weekend’s Lakmé Fashion Week – Summer/Resort 2013, Malhotra debuted a collection inspired by the distinctive styles of every period in Indian cinema. “I have loved cinema and cinema has loved me back,” Malhotra said. “When I got this opportunity to celebrate 100 years of cinema, I had to embrace this milestone and create a memorable collection reflecting my equal love for cinema and fashion.” The designs started off from the black and white era with a collection of lehengas and kurtas. After this came the colour era with bright colours such as pink, green and yellow. This was followed by a vibrant range of patterns, which was later followed by more modern apparel. – IANS

Salman Khan faces trial for killing deer

An Indian court will try five Bollywood actors, including Salman Khan, for allegedly killing two rare deer in a western India wildlife preserve 14 years ago. While Khan has been charged with shooting the bucks, Saif Ali Khan, Sonali Bendre and others allegedly abetted the crime by encouraging him while hunting in the state of Rajasthan. The Indian court system is notoriously slow and it often takes years and even decades for a case to go to trial. If convicted, they face three to six years in prison. The actors deny the charges. Four of the accused appeared in court on Saturday. – AP

Back to the top

More articles


Editor's Picks

 Hajer Almosleh, the winner of the last year's short story competition, at her home in Dubai. Duncan Chard for the National

Get involved with The National’s short-story competition

Writers have two weeks to craft a winning submission, under the title and theme "The Turning Point".

 It is believed that the desert-like planet of Tatooine is being recreated for Star Wars: Episode VII. Could that be where filming in the UAE comes in? Courtesy Lucasfilms

Could the force be with us? The search for Star Wars truth

On the hunt for the Star Wars: Episode VII set, which a growing number of people are sure is in Abu Dhabi, but no one can seem to find.

 With an estimated 18,000 comic and film fans having already paid a visit to this weekend’s Middle East Film and Comic Con, organisers are hopeful they will have surpassed last year total, of 21,000, by its close. Jeffrey E Biteng / The National

In pictures: Middle East Film and Comic Con in Dubai

Dubai's World Trade Center was awash with people visiting this weekend’s Middle East Film and Comic Con. Here's some of our best pictures.

 Sheikh Nahyan bin Mubarak, the Minister of Culture, Youth and Community Development, presents Quincy Jones with the Abu Dhabi Festival Award as the Admaf founder Hoda Al Khamis-Kanoo applauds. Courtesy Abu Dhabi Festival.

A candid talk with Quincy Jones about the UAE, Lil Wayne and the Abu Dhabi Festival award

The Abu Dhabi Festival honoree Quincy Jones discusses his legendary career as a music producer, the return of Dubai Music Week and why he can’t handle the rapper Lil Wayne.

 Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge, Prince William, Duke of Cambridge and Prince George of Cambridge arrive at Wellington Military Terminal on an RNZAF 757 from Sydney on April 7, 2014 in Wellington, New Zealand. Chris Jackson / Getty Images

In pictures: Will and Kate visit Australia and New Zealand

Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge, Prince William, Duke of Cambridge and Prince George of Cambridge are on a tour Down Under for three weeks.

 A protester gives a victory sign during clashes near Tahrir Square in Cairo in November 2011. Goran Tomasevic / Reuters

Street life: humanity’s future depends on ability to negotiate and sustain public space

Negotiating our ever more crowded cities and maintaining vibrant public spaces are among the major challenges facing humanity in the coming decades.

Events

To add your event to The National listings, click here

Get the most from The National