Text size:

  • Small
  • Normal
  • Large
Shah Rukh Khan. AFP
Shah Rukh Khan. AFP
Aishwarya Rai Bachchan. Milind Shelte / India Today Group / Getty Images
Aishwarya Rai Bachchan. Milind Shelte / India Today Group / Getty Images

Aishwarya declines cameo and hints on next film

Plus: SRK writes column for Indian paper; Sanjay Dutt seeks parole extension; Farhan Akhtar announces next films.

Aishwarya Rai Bachchan revealed she was approached to star in a cameo in the forthcoming film Happy New Year, headlined by her husband Abhishek Bachchan along with Shah Rukh Khan and Deepika Padukone. But Aishwarya, who was last seen on the big screen in the 2010 film Guzaarish, declined the offer because the cameo would not feature her husband. “Yes, I was approached for the film but I wasn’t working opposite Abhishek in it and it really wouldn’t work out that way, so things didn’t fall into place,” the 39-year-old actress told reporters, then promised: “But soon, I will be back soon.” When asked about the rumour that she and Abhishek have signed on the debut film of the advertising director Prahlad Kakkar, Aishwarya replied: “Prahlad Kakkar was the one who launched me. He is family and I had promised I would do his first film. He had a concept of a story about a couple and Abhishek and I seem to fit it. But nothing concrete as of now. Let it take shape.” – IANS

SRK writes column for Indian paper

The Bollywood superstar Shah Rukh Khan has written his first column for the Indian broadsheet DNA. The actor has signed on to write a monthly essay for the publication. “A common perception about actors is that they are incompetent at everything other than acting (and some are supposedly incompetent at that, too). We aren’t exactly meant to have other interests (well, except of the controversial kind) but as it happens, I do. I like to write,” wrote the 47-year-old Chennai Express star. The 2,300-word piece also featured musings about Twitter, twerking, astrology and acupuncture. — The National staff

Sanjay Dutt seeks parole extension

The actor Sanjay Dutt – who is currently on a 14-day parole from Yerwada Central Jail in Maharashtra, India – has sought a 14-day extension to his temporary release, citing health reasons. Authorities told reporters that a decision on the application will be announced today. The 53-year-old actor surrendered in May after the Supreme Court’s confirmation of his conviction in the 1993 Mumbai blasts for illegal possession of weapons. He is serving the remaining 42 months of his five-year sentence. He was granted a furlough on October 1. — IANS

Farhan Akhtar announces next film

The actor-director Farhan Akhtar says he has been approached by the director Bejoy Nambiar to work together on a forthcoming film. “I really liked the script he gave me. He was planning to cast Amitabh Bachchan in a key part. I hope to be part of it,” said Akhtar, who recently starred in the biopic Bhaag Milkha Bhaag. The 39-year-old actor also confirmed that he will star in his sister Zoya Akhtar’s next directorial venture, which will be headlined by Priyanka Chopra and Ranveer Singh. Akhtar will play Chopra’s love interest. — IANS

artslife@thenational.ae

Back to the top

More articles


Editor's Picks

 Hajer Almosleh, the winner of the last year's short story competition, at her home in Dubai. Duncan Chard for the National

Get involved with The National’s short-story competition

Writers have two weeks to craft a winning submission, under the title and theme "The Turning Point".

 It is believed that the desert-like planet of Tatooine is being recreated for Star Wars: Episode VII. Could that be where filming in the UAE comes in? Courtesy Lucasfilms

Could the force be with us? The search for Star Wars truth

On the hunt for the Star Wars: Episode VII set, which a growing number of people are sure is in Abu Dhabi, but no one can seem to find.

 With an estimated 18,000 comic and film fans having already paid a visit to this weekend’s Middle East Film and Comic Con, organisers are hopeful they will have surpassed last year total, of 21,000, by its close. Jeffrey E Biteng / The National

In pictures: Middle East Film and Comic Con in Dubai

Dubai's World Trade Center was awash with people visiting this weekend’s Middle East Film and Comic Con. Here's some of our best pictures.

 Sheikh Nahyan bin Mubarak, the Minister of Culture, Youth and Community Development, presents Quincy Jones with the Abu Dhabi Festival Award as the Admaf founder Hoda Al Khamis-Kanoo applauds. Courtesy Abu Dhabi Festival.

A candid talk with Quincy Jones about the UAE, Lil Wayne and the Abu Dhabi Festival award

The Abu Dhabi Festival honoree Quincy Jones discusses his legendary career as a music producer, the return of Dubai Music Week and why he can’t handle the rapper Lil Wayne.

 Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge, Prince William, Duke of Cambridge and Prince George of Cambridge arrive at Wellington Military Terminal on an RNZAF 757 from Sydney on April 7, 2014 in Wellington, New Zealand. Chris Jackson / Getty Images

In pictures: Will and Kate visit Australia and New Zealand

Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge, Prince William, Duke of Cambridge and Prince George of Cambridge are on a tour Down Under for three weeks.

 A protester gives a victory sign during clashes near Tahrir Square in Cairo in November 2011. Goran Tomasevic / Reuters

Street life: humanity’s future depends on ability to negotiate and sustain public space

Negotiating our ever more crowded cities and maintaining vibrant public spaces are among the major challenges facing humanity in the coming decades.

Events

To add your event to The National listings, click here

Get the most from The National